Hard Boiling Eggs

Bring your water to a hard boil first. While that's going on, prep your eggs. I store my eggs pointy side down. I use a corn on the cob poker to put a small hole in the fat bottom of each egg. Once you have a tiny hole in each egg, put in boiling water for exactly 9 minutes. Remove and cool. Perfect every time.

How interesting! I don't know what a corn cob poker is but I use a turkey lacing skewer to sort of "drill" a hole in the wide end of my eggs. A tiny hole prevents the shell from cracking prematurely and letting albumen form those "blobs" on the outside.

You're the first person I've heard suggest the hole in dozens of years on online cooking sites! I just don't bother because I assume most people won't bother doing it, but I find it helpful too.

BTW ... I love your avatar, do you know the artist?

No, I'm sorry, I don't.

It is cute, isn't it? I just googled images for "chicken" or "hen" or some such and picked from what came up. There were a number of funny and attractive and interesting things. I just picked that one 'cause she looks friendly and like she has a lot of personality. But I join you in admiring the artist who created her!

How interesting! I don't know what a corn cob poker is but I use a turkey lacing skewer to sort of "drill" a hole in the wide end of my eggs. A tiny hole prevents the shell from cracking prematurely and letting albumen form those "blobs" on the outside.

You're the first person I've heard suggest the hole in dozens of years on online cooking sites! I just don't bother because I assume most people won't bother doing it, but I find it helpful too.

Attachments

• 1568997505436807803914.jpg
    1568997505436807803914.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 8
The citric acid in lemon juice is about 5-8% and most white vinegars have an acetic acid concentration of 5%. A volume equivalent of lemon juice is likely to be more acidic than the same amount of vinegar. It doesn't matter. Having an acid in the water of high enough concentration seems to be key. At least for me.
White vinegar is dirt cheap so I'll stick with that!
Vinegar didn't help for me and I even tried a lot of it. Must be my eggs are anti-vinegar lol. I was thinking maybe its the oil in the lemon that helps :idunno

Funny thing is people say store bought eggs peel easier because they are old, not sure if that's it. I've let my eggs get 2-3 months old and boiled them and still not peel good. I don't think store eggs are that old, at least I hope not lol.. Maybe its what they feed them.
My Easter egger eggs never peel good even with the lemon and all the other brown and white peeling easy. I just don't boil the green eggs anymore lol.

Well, yesterday I tried a method I found on here and it worked really well for me! First let me say that normally I age my eggs about a month and they peel pretty well. My normal method was to start 'em in cold water, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, let set 10 min, then ice bath. But I was still getting a green coating around the yolk and I didn't like that.

SO. A lot of folks said I'd get rid of the green yolk AND could use fresh eggs and they'd peel easily if I STEAMED them instead. I was skeptical, but... So I tried it and it WORKED! Brought about an inch of water to a boil in my square Copper Pot (bc it has a rack). Put the rack in, put the eggs on top, put the lid on, turned the heat down to keep the water just at a boil, and set the timer to 12 minutes. Removed one at 5 minutes and enjoyed a LOVELY, perfect, soft-boiled egg! As for the rest, I dumped them into an ice bath at 12 minutes, let them cool, peeled them with no problem, admired the perfect yellow yolks! - and made egg salad. Yum! Will do it this way from now on.

Back
Top Bottom