Hard breed disision

Where do
I researched breeds quite a bit before ordering my chicks.
Like you, I wanted good layers of brown eggs and all different breeds and colors. I also needed them to be friendly and cold-hardy.
Orpingtons, Plymouth rocks, Brahmas tend to be broody. Dominiques and Buckeyes can be broody.
Here were my choices based on my research:
Buff Orpington  (light orange)
Black Australorp  (black)
Blue Orpington  (light and dark grey)
Golden Buff   (dark red/orange)
Buff Brahma  (light beige and striking black)
White Plymouth Rock  (white)
Dominique  (black and white striped)
Buckeye  (rich mahogany brown)

I did also get an Easter Egger  - she won't have brown eggs, but she is striking in appearance (black, brown, orange tones), should lay well and can go broody.

Photos as chicks and pullets

Good luck in your choices.
:)
where do you order your chicks from I'm probably getting mine from murray mcmurray but if any better choices I will try there

Last edited:
Research some of the major companies, especially customer satisfaction (realize, of course that there are always some unhappy campers who will never get the perfection they feel entitled to). also, any in your area? Then, you'll have to check to see if any of the companies you check have the breeds you want and can supply them around your desired ship date. Each company has a particular day of the week that they ship. Will your chicks be subjected to sitting in some post office over the weekend? Never order chicks that will be in shipment over a mail holiday. Also, check to see if the company you're doing business with actually ships chicks out from their facility, or are they just a middle man? some companies merely compile orders and have chicks delivered from multiple suppliers. I can't wrap my head around how that works. Mount Healthy has been repeatedly reported to have salmonella outbreaks in their chicks, but that's not to say that other companies don't have similar problems, just haven't tested positive. Also, check the company's refund/replacement policy for dead or sick chicks,, and will they stand behind their advertised correct sexing policy and give credit for any roos greater than 90% of your order. Will any credit be issued back to your credit card, or will they just hold that credit for a future order? (which is totally useless unless you plan to order yearly, and are happy with that company to start with.) Then, check with your local post office to see how well they do calling their customers to come and pick up chick shipments. A lot of info to process. Do your homework before committing your credit card to an order!!

Thanks for yhei
Research some of the major companies, especially customer satisfaction  (realize, of course that there are always some unhappy campers who will never get the perfection they feel entitled to).  also, any in your area?  Then, you'll have to check to see if any of the companies you check have the breeds you want and can supply them around your desired ship date.  Each company has a particular day of the week that they ship.  Will your chicks be subjected to sitting in some post office over the weekend?  Never order chicks that will be in shipment over a mail holiday.  Also, check to see if the company you're doing business with actually ships chicks out from their facility, or are they just a middle man?  some companies merely compile orders and have chicks delivered from multiple suppliers.  I can't wrap my head around how that works.  Mount Healthy has been repeatedly reported to have salmonella outbreaks in their chicks, but that's not to say that other companies don't have similar problems, just haven't tested positive.  Also, check the company's refund/replacement policy for dead or sick chicks,, and will they stand behind their advertised correct sexing policy and give credit for any roos greater than 90% of your order. Will any credit be issued back to your credit card, or will they just hold that credit for a future order?  (which is totally useless unless you plan to order yearly, and are happy with that company to start with.) Then, check with your local post office to see how well they do calling their customers to come and pick up chick shipments.  A lot of info to process.  Do your homework before committing your credit card to an order!!
thank you for the info

Back
Top Bottom