Hard breed disision

chickybuddy100

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
So I'm asking about what chicks I needs to get from murray mcmurray hatchery and I want brown eggers don't ask why anyway do you have any suggestions I already know I'm getting barred rocks I want a mixture of colors in my coop thx for your time

If you want some nice brown egg layers to liven up the flock you could get Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Red/Golden/Black Sex Links, Rhode Island Reds, Welsummer, Sussex, or Brahmas. They're all good hardy breeds that lay large brown eggs, hope this helps!

If you want some nice brown egg layers to liven up the flock you could get Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Red/Golden/Black Sex Links, Rhode Island Reds, Welsummer, Sussex, or Brahmas. They're all good hardy breeds that lay large brown eggs, hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice

nad just cause it says gentle breed .c chickens are like humans get all kinds in every breed....

So I'm asking about what chicks I needs to get from murray mcmurray hatchery and I want brown eggers don't ask why anyway do you have any suggestions I already know I'm getting barred rocks I want a mixture of colors in my coop thx for your time
Barred rocks are great, and there is another variety of rocks called Partridge rocks, which are brown and black penciled. And I have to recommend Orpingtons for being super-friendly, even if mine isn't the best layer. Then there are all the breeds @Jedwards listed.

@jedwards @lazygardener @rc4u @earlybird10842Thank y'all for all of the advice and if you have more advice please reply below

Why not some Marans? They're chocolate eggers, and lay amazing, super dark brown eggs! Dark, speckled Welsummer eggs are beauties as well.

Do you prefer production type breeds, ornamentals, bantams, large fowl, dual purpose, hens that will sit and hatch eggs? It would help to know those things, we could make better suggestions, because there are many, MANY wonderful breeds to be had!

I just want some very good egg producers that will hatch chicks but if they don't sit on eggs it's perfectly fine because I have an incubator

Last edited:
I researched breeds quite a bit before ordering my chicks.
Like you, I wanted good layers of brown eggs and all different breeds and colors. I also needed them to be friendly and cold-hardy.
Orpingtons, Plymouth rocks, Brahmas tend to be broody. Dominiques and Buckeyes can be broody.
Here were my choices based on my research:
Buff Orpington (light orange)
Black Australorp (black)
Blue Orpington (light and dark grey)
Golden Buff (dark red/orange)
Buff Brahma (light beige and striking black)
White Plymouth Rock (white)
Dominique (black and white striped)
Buckeye (rich mahogany brown)

I did also get an Easter Egger - she won't have brown eggs, but she is striking in appearance (black, brown, orange tones), should lay well and can go broody.

Photos as chicks and pullets

Good luck in your choices.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom