My Question Is This: Do you have regrets keeping your rooster?

Well, that is not the norm. Sounds like a young idiot boy with not enough girls. That is where an older flocks disciplining of youngsters comes in handy. My girls would never allow a pullet or hen to get beat, even if she is low on the pecking order. I can not watch and listen 24/7, even with cameras, they gotta get along. I had a beautiful roo who flogged my BR's. So, he got rehomed. Not every frog is a prince.
The dynamics of a functioning flock are beautiful but sometimes it takes a while to get there.
Thank you! This is the sort of advice I'm looking for. Right now, my existing hens tolerate all the pullets in the pen, but do not like them in their bedroom (coop) at night. I'll eventually post about those goings on.

I absolutely love my boys. They run a good flock and are worth 100x the small amount of feed they eat. They keep a good eye out and keep my girls calm. I love the way my girls swoon over them.View attachment 3665406View attachment 3665404

Your older gals may be of great help in training your young cockerel. When do you integrate? If you keep him with the pullets he grew up with he may be a hormonal pain, and that won't be fair to him, you and especially the pullets. The old gals should help wonderfully, giving him the whallops he needs and teaching him some respect. They will also be helpful in choosing or rejecting.
Push the decision off on them 😂
He will only improve with age IMO. They grow into their own, become stunning from 7 months on. Easier to find a home for also. All you can do is try, one way or the other. Rehoming is tricky. I do a lot of vetting and still new owners don't get it right. Everything wants to eat chickens. I keep posting and eventually get the best possible outcome. Sometimes it takes months. Take your time, don't be desperate.
I'm hoping you try and keep him if you can. Nothing like a beautifully functioning flock. I hope to never go without a roo. View attachment 3665407
Terrificly dorky and perfectly imperfect but also fearless and priceless.View attachment 3665418
Your pictures are stunning!! Thank you for your response. Can you elaborate a bit more about "If you keep him with the pullets he grew up with he may be a hormonal pain, and that won't be fair to him, you and especially the pullets"? Louise/Larry is one of 5 pullets, they are all 12 weeks old today. The three existing hens are 4 years old. They are well integrated in the pen/run, the little ones know to get out of the way of the older gals. They are all in the coop at night but with some difficulty as the older girls clearly do not like them in the bedroom. I'm still working on that situation.

I can't imagine why someone with the means for it wouldn't want their chickens free-ranging and breeding. Imagining my flock without males would be boring, sterile and dead

My Fayoumi rooster is constantly running all over the place all day trying to look out for around 50 hens. Protecting them, making nests, finding food. His work never stops

It'll be very nice when some of the other cockerels around here mature finally so he has more backup
Can the game fowl be trained to lay in a coop/nest box? I'm really considering some after reading your posts on them but I don't want to hunt eggs every day.

Oh! That's interesting!! I will keep that in mind. He does run up to me often. I try to daily pick each one up so they know my touch and for when we might need to wash poopy butts and inspect. All tolerate it, some love it and some are ready to get down. Thanks.
You're welcome. He's not being friendly when he does that, he's being bold.

Your pictures are stunning!! Thank you for your response. Can you elaborate a bit more about "If you keep him with the pullets he grew up with he may be a hormonal pain, and that won't be fair to him, you and especially the pullets"? Louise/Larry is one of 5 pullets, they are all 12 weeks old today. The three existing hens are 4 years old. They are well integrated in the pen/run, the little ones know to get out of the way of the older gals. They are all in the coop at night but with some difficulty as the older girls clearly do not like them in the bedroom. I'm still working on that situation.
I think it is terrific that you have them integrated already ♡! Your sweet little pullets will be safer having big girls in their corner when your boys hormones start kicking in at around 5 months, and he does not know what or how to be a good boy yet. The young girls would be subject to his hormonal reign of terror and bullying on their own. Let your big girls beat him up to some extent when needed. They are just teaching him manors.
Sounds like you are doing everything right. It is wonderful to know you enjoy and care for your flock so well. 🐓💕
I think you will be thrilled and proud of him. I love seeing the roosters grow and bloom into fabulous flock watchers.
When he starts to tidbit the girls, be sure to offer him food first so as to up his worth in their eyes. It builds a nice bond between you guys too.
Please keep us posted 😁🤙

I can't imagine why someone with the means for it wouldn't want their chickens free-ranging and breeding. Imagining my flock without males would be boring, sterile and dead

My Fayoumi rooster is constantly running all over the place all day trying to look out for around 50 hens. Protecting them, making nests, finding food. His work never stops

It'll be very nice when some of the other cockerels around here mature finally so he has more backup
I hope your guys gets some back up soon ♡. That is a lot of ladies to take care of.

You're welcome. He's not being friendly when he does that, he's being bold.
I strongly disagree. You don't know forsure unless you are there.
I live in the land of roosters. Kauai, you can't walk a block without seeing at least 2 roosters running wild.
I have hatched and raised MANY, MANY boys. They get a little goofy as teenagers but that is just hormones. Gently pick the boy up and carry him around. Give him a snack, set him down. No need to challenge or show hostility towards a little chicken. If he is afraid of you, he will lash out as all animals, including humans do.
I have never, ever been flogged because I don't challenge. Work as a team. They are a prey animal, tuff when you are little and everything wants to eat you or your girls. That lack of control would be overwhelming to anything. Be kind and firm.

Can the game fowl be trained to lay in a coop/nest box? I'm really considering some after reading your posts on them but I don't want to hunt eggs every day.
My gamefowl are some of the most well behaved and easy to work with chickens I have. I just leave my coop door open and have a couple of nesting boxes in convenient locations and they all use them without fail

It's the Fayoumi that make me go on egg hunts in the forest

I think it is terrific that you have them integrated already ♡! Your sweet little pullets will be safer having big girls in their corner when your boys hormones start kicking in at around 5 months, and he does not know what or how to be a good boy yet. The young girls would be subject to his hormonal reign of terror and bullying on their own. Let your big girls beat him up to some extent when needed. They are just teaching him manors.
Sounds like you are doing everything right. It is wonderful to know you enjoy and care for your flock so well. 🐓💕
I think you will be thrilled and proud of him. I love seeing the roosters grow and bloom into fabulous flock watchers.
When he starts to tidbit the girls, be sure to offer him food first so as to up his worth in their eyes. It builds a nice bond between you guys too.
Please keep us posted 😁🤙
Very interesting, thank you for your thoughts on this and some of what to expect. I like to trouble-shoot things before they happen so I'm not surprised and unprepared. I really like that tip about offering him food first. I guess time will tell how this all works out.

Back
Top Bottom