My Question Is This: Do you have regrets keeping your rooster?

I was coming back on here to post about all the help I have gotten from the group and site / much more than I have been able to give back. I read your post and wanted to encourage you to keep him. A number of years ago we received a mistake Buff Orpington roo from M/MC. He was a sweetheart and calmed down after a few holding sessions. He did have his favorites and worked the stuffing out of them (even with 1 roo to 20 hens).

FF to the latest group and I have 1 Domanique roo to 12 rare hens. We hatched out two groups this summer and I re-homed all roos but held on to a beautiful Lackenfelder cross (junior) to try against the odds to integrate. I have been super successful over the last week and a half. Tonight was the first night everyone is inside together and all is peaceful.

In short - I would definitely keep the one and am super happy to have the support here for the techniques to successfully hatch, raise, and integrate the two (plus the 9 new young pullets to our flock)! Will post pics in a separate thread.

Last edited:
As long as your neighbors don't complain about the noise I would say keep him. You can still eat fertilized eggs and they taste no different from normal eggs. I always have at least one rooster in each flock, and some extras that I hatched that just get to free range

As long as your neighbors don't complain about the noise I would say keep him. You can still eat fertilized eggs and they taste no different from normal eggs. I always have at least one rooster in each flock, and some extras that I hatched that just get to free range

So, do you keep the extras free-ranging and separate year-round?

...The farm I homed my other rare crosses does the same and never with the hens (only turkeys). I am curious as I really would have like to have kept more but we get brutal winters.

So, do you keep the extras free-ranging and separate year-round?

...The farm I homed my other rare crosses does the same and never with the hens (only turkeys). I am curious as I really would have like to have kept more but we get brutal winters.
They have a big barn to go in and that's where they spend most of their time. Right now I have 5 free ranging. One was recently killed by a predator, but for the most part they can take care of themselves.

Among the 7 chicks ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery ($$$), one chick did not survive the journey which was super sad for us. Then, a few weeks ago we realized our female Louise (Buff Orpington) is very much a male Larry. I'm a born trouble-shooter, but I dropped the ball on the possibility that I might get a male instead of all females like I ordered. I feel very responsible for Louise/Larry.

Since we do not want to be hatching chicks, and do not free-range, it seems prudent we find a good home for Louise/Larry. So far, asking various people and doing word of mouth isn’t working. Roosters do not seem to be in high demand. I’ve been stalking some local FB groups, and everyone seems to be trying to find new homes for their roosters, many are stunningly beautiful. It makes me doubt my success going that route.

Louise/Larry and the other five pullets are 11 weeks old. They join our existing flock of three 4-year-old hens (that’s another story). We have a coop connected to an enclosed run that opens up to a large fenced in pen area amongst trees with string criss-crossing above. I’ve read a lot on the pros and cons for keeping a rooster, but the cons seem to outweigh the pros when you don’t want chicks, do not have the predator issue, and do not free-range. Thing is, we are all very attached to Louise/Larry and don’t want to give him to just anyone and wind up in a stew pot!☹️ If I can find a new home with caring humans that want him to do what he is meant to do, I would go that route. However…I'm seeing that may not be possible.

My question is this…have any of you kept a surprise rooster even though you are not hatching chicks or free ranging? And, if so, do you regret it? Why? What am I not considering? If we kept him, is that future misery for the hens and the five pullets? Any advice is appreciated. (Old flock 1 Barred Rock, 2 Rhode Island Reds; New flock 2 Buff Orpington, 1 Black Ochin, 2 Delaware, 1 Red Star/ISA Brown) Picture of Louise/Larry and our Chick-Inn.View attachment 3662506View attachment 3662508
Absolutely. I just love my roosters. They are awesome. I keep a male only coop and run and they get along fine as long as there are not females to fight about.

My roosters do not eat anywhere near what my hens do.
Well mine eat more as they are massive, heres one of my males next to one of my hens... Lol
20231021_154448.jpg

I think it is terrific that you have them integrated already ♡! Your sweet little pullets will be safer having big girls in their corner when your boys hormones start kicking in at around 5 months, and he does not know what or how to be a good boy yet. The young girls would be subject to his hormonal reign of terror and bullying on their own. Let your big girls beat him up to some extent when needed. They are just teaching him manors.
Sounds like you are doing everything right. It is wonderful to know you enjoy and care for your flock so well. 🐓💕
I think you will be thrilled and proud of him. I love seeing the roosters grow and bloom into fabulous flock watchers.
When he starts to tidbit the girls, be sure to offer him food first so as to up his worth in their eyes. It builds a nice bond between you guys too.
Please keep us posted 😁🤙
You are spot on. Thank you.

I strongly disagree. You don't know forsure unless you are there.
I live in the land of roosters. Kauai, you can't walk a block without seeing at least 2 roosters running wild.
I have hatched and raised MANY, MANY boys. They get a little goofy as teenagers but that is just hormones. Gently pick the boy up and carry him around. Give him a snack, set him down. No need to challenge or show hostility towards a little chicken. If he is afraid of you, he will lash out as all animals, including humans do.
I have never, ever been flogged because I don't challenge. Work as a team. They are a prey animal, tuff when you are little and everything wants to eat you or your girls. That lack of control would be overwhelming to anything. Be kind and firm.
I could not have said this better than you did. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom