My Question Is This: Do you have regrets keeping your rooster?

Pics

BeeJayBird

Chirping
Jul 31, 2023
Virginia
Among the 7 chicks ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery ($$$), one chick did not survive the journey which was super sad for us. Then, a few weeks ago we realized our female Louise (Buff Orpington) is very much a male Larry. I'm a born trouble-shooter, but I dropped the ball on the possibility that I might get a male instead of all females like I ordered. I feel very responsible for Louise/Larry.

Since we do not want to be hatching chicks, and do not free-range, it seems prudent we find a good home for Louise/Larry. So far, asking various people and doing word of mouth isn’t working. Roosters do not seem to be in high demand. I’ve been stalking some local FB groups, and everyone seems to be trying to find new homes for their roosters, many are stunningly beautiful. It makes me doubt my success going that route.

Louise/Larry and the other five pullets are 11 weeks old. They join our existing flock of three 4-year-old hens (that’s another story). We have a coop connected to an enclosed run that opens up to a large fenced in pen area amongst trees with string criss-crossing above. I’ve read a lot on the pros and cons for keeping a rooster, but the cons seem to outweigh the pros when you don’t want chicks, do not have the predator issue, and do not free-range. Thing is, we are all very attached to Louise/Larry and don’t want to give him to just anyone and wind up in a stew pot!☹️ If I can find a new home with caring humans that want him to do what he is meant to do, I would go that route. However…I'm seeing that may not be possible.

My question is this…have any of you kept a surprise rooster even though you are not hatching chicks or free ranging? And, if so, do you regret it? Why? What am I not considering? If we kept him, is that future misery for the hens and the five pullets? Any advice is appreciated. (Old flock 1 Barred Rock, 2 Rhode Island Reds; New flock 2 Buff Orpington, 1 Black Ochin, 2 Delaware, 1 Red Star/ISA Brown) Picture of Louise/Larry and our Chick-Inn.
Louise-Larry.jpg
Chick-Inn.jpg

It really just depends upon the individual, he may be just fine or he may be a real pain. The only way to know for sure is just try it and see. You can always get rid of him later if it doesn't work out, after all. We have one rooster that is a total sweetheart even to cockerels that I sometimes put in his coop, but we've also had real annoying ones too.

I agree with Asya. Your cockerel is too young right now to determine if he would be a good rooster. Hopefully he will. Bear in mind that when he turns into a "teen ager" which will be soon, you will have to put up with his antics. Your hens will help teaching him good manners and hopefully your pullets won't get harassed too much.

I am in the same boat, I got a cockerel in the 8 I ordered, and he was a favorite of ours since we got them at 3 days old. For the most part he is really good with the 5 barred rocks but a total jerk to the 2 easter eggers. In the evening I give them some scratch and he will allow the barred rocks to eat all they want but heaven forbid a easter egger want a taste, he chases them off. They are all the same age (27 weeks) and he is also an easter egger. If I pick up any of the pullets he is in my face to protect them from me, has not attacked me yet , I like the way he wants to protect them. Mine are not free ranged. The way I am going to decide if he stays or goes to the freezer is he does not attack anyone, does not tear up the hens by over mating. For a young cockerel he seems pretty good on mating of the pullets, does his dance around them and then bumps them, if they squat he mates them if not he moves on.

It really just depends upon the individual, he may be just fine or he may be a real pain. The only way to know for sure is just try it and see. You can always get rid of him later if it doesn't work out, after all. We have one rooster that is a total sweetheart even to cockerels that I sometimes put in his coop, but we've also had real annoying ones too.
I just found a home for my Americana Rooster today! (Eden/Jacob). He is 21 weeks old. He was in a house attached to a 15' by 20' run. I ordered 5 hen! Wound up with 1 rooster. If I were you I would keep earnestly trying to find a home. I lost 1 hen. The whole side of her face was gone and her eye. So heartbreaking. Some people say "There just chickens!" Not to me!!
We go out there daily more than once. Surprising how fast it had to happen. She was a Salmon Favorelle. The smallest of all of them. Since we weren't sure it was the rooster we kept him and tried to keep an eye on them. Sure enough, another hen was bloody and all the feathers gone on one side of her neck. Still have her isolated. She's a Buff Opington. That was it!! I knew what I had to do.....I never wanted a rooster. I called several places and was told take him to an auction or put him on Market Place (FB). I didn't want him ending up in a cock fight somewhere. I finally called the place I got them and was given a number of a Pet Store that takes them to live there. That's where we took hime today. I'm not sure of his destiny. He was very pretty! But I can't have my baby girls killed either. I witnessed him attacking my Bardrock's neck. Seen it with my own 2 eyes!!
Hope this helps......keep looking for someplace you feel comfortable to take him!

Back
Top Bottom