Hard crop in 11 week old light Brahma

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
Today I heard some weird sounds coming out of my 11 week old light Brahma. I have two of them and only one was making this noise. I picked her up and realized she had a rock hard crop. Like there was no squish to it at all. I tried to get the noise on video but as soon as I pointed the camera at her she stopped. It’s kinda like coughing.
I already tried to give her some coconut oil and olive oil. She didn’t want to take either and I only got a little bit into her. She does free range for about four hours a day and lives in a 10x10 run with three other girls. The bedding in her coop is pine shavings.

Try first dividing the coconut oil into a teaspoon worth of pea size pieces, then chill until firm. Then slip those one by one into the beak.

That's step one. Next get her comfortable in your lap and gently massage her crop like you're kneading a tiny ball of dough. Try to feel the hard mass soften and break up. If after five minutes, there's no change, give her another teaspoon of coconut oil in the same manner. Then massage some more.

This time, you should feel the lump soften and start to break up. Withhold food and water after bedtime, then check her crop first thing in the morning to be sure the lump has disappeared.

Be sure she has access to grit and plenty of water to flush her system.

Try first dividing the coconut oil into a teaspoon worth of pea size pieces, then chill until firm. Then slip those one by one into the beak.

That's step one. Next get her comfortable in your lap and gently massage her crop like you're kneading a tiny ball of dough. Try to feel the hard mass soften and break up. If after five minutes, there's no change, give her another teaspoon of coconut oil in the same manner. Then massage some more.

This time, you should feel the lump soften and start to break up. Withhold food and water after bedtime, then check her crop first thing in the morning to be sure the lump has disappeared.

Be sure she has access to grit and plenty of water to flush her system.
That’s a much better plan than what I was doing. Thank you. I’ll have to do that tomorrow though because it’s already night here. I’ll check on her first thing in the morning and if her crop is still hard I’ll follow your directions. I left some olive oil in the coop with her so that’s all she has access to now for the night. Thank you again.

Her crop went down over night. I checked all the girls in with her and all their crops were down. So she must have passed whatever was in there. Can her crop be hard from just eating too much?

Back
Top Bottom