Hard cyst like growth

pamvanzandt

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
B]
. Help please! I've searched and can't find any picture like what my 6 month rooster has. Appeared suddenly about 1 week ago and growing! There is this large one you see and two smaller ones on the other side! This one is really growing! Also has had those powder like circles on his waddle and comb!

Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry but your picture is not showing up. You may need to have a few more posts to post pictures. Can you describe the symptoms with more detail? Did your chicken have a Mareks vaccine? Are you in a cold environment?

No, he hasn't had any vaccines. It has been very, very cold here in north Tx! Has been 20 degrees and even lower sometimes. It showed up very quickly; like in 2 days or so and was the size of a pencil eraser. It is just beside his eye and is hard and has a dark spot in it. It's slowly growing and now his eye is closed on that side:( in the other side two more came up but aren't growing. The first one is the size of a large marble. He is acting totally normal otherwise. Before these "cysts/boils" showed up, he got these perfect circular white powder like spots. 3 if them on his waddle and comb. They are the same as when showed up, no change. I can't seem to really feel either of these things I've googled and found exactly a description! Thanks for any help !

I sure wish we could see your pictures. Mareks disease can cause tumors all over the body. There are fungal infections that can grow around the comb and wattles (favus). Mild frostbite can start out with white on the comb.There are protozoan diseases such as canker that produce growths inside and outside the beak. In warm areas, wet fowl pox from mosquito virus can cause lesions around the head. Respiratory diseases can cause swelling around the eyes. If you can post a few more times, I'm sure you can post your picture. Here is a picture of a beak growth that is common: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/494097/wart-like-growth-on-beak

All the pics of Favus and Fowl Pox don't look anything like it. The link you sent actually did look similar! Might try to see if I could lance it. Thanks so much! Will definitely try to post pics ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom