Hard HUGE crop... Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenwhisperer123, Apr 15, 2009.

1. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:It says right in the title "HUGE HARD CROP"
    I know a little more than you guys give me credit for..

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:What she said. Probably much too full to eat or drink. Just check in the morning. Sometimes mine eat so much the crop is way off to one side and they look like they have some sort of awful tumor growing. But in the AM it is gone and they are off to pig out again.

3. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Just tellin ya what I read...that's why I said, I have no idea if it'll work. Crops do get impacted sometimes...but your advice to wait until tomorrow is a good idea

4. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Do you have any olive oil? Take small pieces of bread, soak them in olive oil, and see if she'll take it. Massage her crop to try and break down the stuff in it. You won't notice results right away, it can take a few days for the crop to go back down. Just keep giving her oil and massages every few hours or so. Don't give her any food, but she can have water. Once the crop goes down you can give her small amounts of mashed pellets soaked in warm water, and also yogurt. Keep her on soft food for several more days even after the crop has gone completely down. Introduce pellet food back slowly in small quantities at a time. Also try and find out what cased the impaction in the first place. Too much grass, hay, small grit, stuff like that.
    Try not to panic, it's not immediately life threatening, only if its been prolonged it can cause starvation.
    If the oil and massage doesn't work she will need to have an operation to remove the mass.

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:It says right in the title "HUGE HARD CROP"
    I know a little more than you guys give me credit for..

Sorry, I wasn't reading the title, just the contents of the thread and like I said, you didn't mention crop. You'd be surprised how many posts a day show up in the emergency section that post this same "emergency" because they don't know a chicken has a crop. So I didn't mean any disrespect but I didn't want to assume either.

Either way, just because it's hard and the size of a baseball doesn't mean it's impacted. If it's still huge in the morning you might want to watch it but their crops are always full at night.

6. chickenwhisperer123

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well gosh I hope its not impacted... I need to do alot before Friday with the chickens, and dont need another thing..

7. chickenhick

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I'd be freakin to, so don't feel bad. These darn chickens are worse than kids...at least kids can tell you where it hurts!!!!!!

8. chickenwhisperer123

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:Exactly!!
    I probably wouldnt have freaked out quite so much (Carrying her inside by the computer! [​IMG] ) if she had been in the coop, but she was sleeping outside on the ground....
    That is what made me realize that something may be wrong.

9. chickenhick

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Yeah usually chickens don't roost outside on the ground...but really, from the responses you've gotten....hopefully you have nothing to worry about. Please let us know tomorrow how she is.

10. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    My roo was just sitting in his pen and thats how i knew something was wrong.
    Hes generally a fiesty thing and when i picked him up his crop was rock hard and appeared about to burst.
    If she's not better by morning i would do the massage thing with the oil or the water.
    It won't drown her if your careful to make sure it go's down her throat and not her wind pipe.
    Better to try that then the alternative of opening the crop been there done that and don't want to do it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by