Hard lump on face - otherwise healthy chicken

robbranston

Hatching
Sep 1, 2023
I have a otherwise healthy chicken which developed a lump under her eye not long after I got her. I just thought she had scratched the eye and it had closed over. However this winter it has swollen more and yesterday I managed to catch her and thinking it was an abscess, thought we could lance it. However, it appears to be a hard lump which is blocking her sinus - she has a wee bit of discharge - runny from nose. Not sure what to do with her. It isn't coming right on its own and doesn't appear to be infectious - other two birds are find and healthy. Not sure what to do now.
340933963_258637673260503_1925981093713615027_n.jpg

It looks like a sinus infection, and could be from a respiratory disease, such as MG or coryza. Is there any bad odor? There probably is solid pus in and around her sinus cavity and the eye. I would try to remove the pus by squeezing around her eye. Look up into the roof of the beak in the choanal slit to see if there is pus there if it could be removed. Antibiotics such as Tylosin for MG, or sulfa antibiotics for coryza may be used. Here is a video showing pus removal:

It looks like a sinus infection, and could be from a respiratory disease, such as MG or coryza. Is there any bad odor? There probably is solid pus in and around her sinus cavity and the eye. I would try to remove the pus by squeezing around her eye. Look up into the roof of the beak in the choanal slit to see if there is pus there if it could be removed. Antibiotics such as Tylosin for MG, or sulfa antibiotics for coryza may be used. Here is a video showing pus removal:

Hi - we squeezed hard but nothing came out - it is just a hard lump. And there is nothing inside the mouth that has got stuck. But it does appear to be blocking side of the nose. And no - no smell of note.

Hi - we squeezed hard but nothing came out - it is just a hard lump. And there is nothing inside the mouth that has got stuck. But it does appear to be blocking side of the nose. And no - no smell of note.
What was the outcome? My rooster has this same issue and we have tried everything (antibiotics, rinses, steroid ointment, extra vitamins) I called a vet but they said they would be happy to have me bring him in (they are a little over an hour away) but they did say they do not see a lot of "poultry" and they are not familiar with "poultry infections and can not guarantee anything but an office visit". He is the sweetest rooster - does anyone know what I can do?

Back
Top Bottom