Hard molt or something else?

Thank you! I wanted to pick her up and bring her inside, because some of the hens have started picking on her, but i thought it might be uncomfortable. I did separate her while she ate some scrambled eggs.

Separating her so she could eat in peace was a good idea. I would keep doing exactly what you are doing as far as that goes. They often do get picked on a little bit when molting, most likely since the others are able to tell that they don't feel well. If I see one chicken being picked on a lot, I do watch to make sure they're not getting injured and that they are not being blocked from getting food and water.

As for the cool temperatures, I had two hens in hard molt last winter. Both of them ended up looking similar to your hen. I watched one of them walk around in snow that came all the way up to her stomach, which was completely fatherless aside from whichever new feathers were growing in at that point. She was totally fine, though I admit I was definitely concerned at first. It can get down to around -20sC with windchill here. I don't remember if it was quite that cold then, but it was definitely cold. I just made sure to give extra protein and monitor her to make sure she wasn't showing signs of being too cold.

I couldnt quite figure out how to edit my original post but i just got back into town and she looks worse. She also is walking sideways, does that happen when they have a hard molt? I fed her scrambled eggs and she is sleeping on the roost. We are supposed to have cold weather come in tonight and she hardly has any feathers to keep her warm. Thanks for any input.

Have you seen this contest? You should enter your gal!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/post-your-best-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-2023.1593891/

I use the all flock feed with 20% protein instead of the regular layer feed 16% during molt and make sure they have access to oyster shell and baked egg shells for the ones that are still laying, that seems to help. With that hard of a molt there's nothing wrong with giving her a little extra - eggs or similar to help her thru her tough time. poor girl.

Video on YouTube about giving chickens an Epsom salt bath. One of my chickens was acting funky too. Gave her a bath an it was like she was revived! It helps with being egg bound too and other things. My problem is, how often can or should they have one?

I wondered if she might be walking sideways because she is uncomfortable

I've got one hard-molting hen right now that has started doing a bizarre, hunkered down skittering way of getting about when she wants to get somewhere quickly. It's due to her pin feathers being sensitive. The other chickens find her weird gremlin-crab-crawl terrifying so she gets plenty of space lol.

I've got one hard-molting hen right now that has started doing a bizarre, hunkered down skittering way of getting about when she wants to get somewhere quickly. It's due to her pin feathers being sensitive. The other chickens find her weird gremlin-crab-crawl terrifying so she gets plenty of space lol.
Exactly what mine is doing!! Looks so uncomfortable and she has a zigzag way of walking as well. And of course we had a big temperature drop recently! My other hens are picking on her a bit though and she is kind of hiding.

Back
Top Bottom