Hard molt or something else?

Video on YouTube about giving chickens an Epsom salt bath. One of my chickens was acting funky too. Gave her a bath an it was like she was revived! It helps with being egg bound too and other things. My problem is, how often can or should they have one?
Some of mine need a bath. One of my special needs chickens leaned against a freshly painted wall. She is a faverolle with one side currently green. And a few others seem to have dirty bottoms. But it is an ordeal!! I would think once a week.plenty but with baldness i'd be a bit worried about getting cold.

I hadnt! I defintely should enter her because poor thing looks terrible. She even has shreds of long feathers scattered in a few places that looks like long hairs among the "stubble"...she's not ready for any beauty contest quite yet. And before that she had gorgeous reddish feathers!

She will be back to gorgeous very soon.

Yes you should enter her!!

Yup, sometimes it looks as if you've had a fox in the hen house when they molt like that. Fortunately she is growing back feathers already.
Adding high protein foods to their diets this time of year is a thing I always do...summer they find their own extra protein as needed but in the winter there are just less bugs so I bump the protein % in the winter time.

I have been finding what looks like explosions of feathers in the coop in the morning. Some hens have lost some but not bald. But a couple of my hens have lost a bunch of feathers. The first one seems to be growing them back. The latest hen looks like she lost a bunch literally overnight. Is this normal for molting? Attaching a pic. She is a Buckeye. Thank you
save your bones from 'chicken or turkey' instead of buying cat food. just make sure you pick up the carcasses, it attracts vermin. they actually love it, and remember, they are omnivores!

Back
Top Bottom