Hard molt or something else?

There are new feathers coming in and the skin doesn't look red or irritated. Looks

Oh dear! She certainly is molting hard. Yes it looks like a normal hard molt to me.

Some extra protein during molt often helps speed the regrowth. Many use canned fish (I myself use mackerel). I haven't give cat food but many do as it is very high in protein.

Offering a 20% protein feed like all flock or chick starter is another option.
I couldnt quite figure out how to edit my original post but i just got back into town and she looks worse. She also is walking sideways, does that happen when they have a hard molt? I fed her scrambled eggs and she is sleeping on the roost. We are supposed to have cold weather come in tonight and she hardly has any feathers to keep her warm. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• 20231015_172012.jpg
    20231015_172012.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231015_172007.jpg
    20231015_172007.jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231015_171930.jpg
    20231015_171930.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231015_171907.jpg
    20231015_171907.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 17
Thank you. I wondered if she might be walking sideways because she is uncomfortable

She definitely could be. I've had birds look and act very ill when going through a molt like this, including not wanting to move much because they felt so uncomfortable. I haven't personally had a bird walk sideways during a molt. I could definitely see that happening, though. The new feathers really don't feel nice for them when they are coming in.

She definitely could be. I've had birds look and act very ill when going through a molt like this, including not wanting to move much because they felt so uncomfortable. I haven't personally had a bird walk sideways during a molt. I could definitely see that happening, though. The new feathers really don't feel nice for them when they are coming in.
Thank you! I wanted to pick her up and bring her inside, because some of the hens have started picking on her, but i thought it might be uncomfortable. I did separate her while she ate some scrambled eggs.

She might be. The pin feathers can be painful when touched.

I have one girl who usually loves to be held, but squawks unhappily if I pick her up during molt.
Thank you, she is friendly but scared to be picked up normally and I figured she is probably uncomfortable, so i fed her and made sure she was safely in the coop for the night, then left them alone.

I couldnt quite figure out how to edit my original post but i just got back into town and she looks worse. She also is walking sideways, does that happen when they have a hard molt? I fed her scrambled eggs and she is sleeping on the roost. We are supposed to have cold weather come in tonight and she hardly has any feathers to keep her warm. Thanks for any input.

That is an incredible amount of pin feathers!!
Full porcupine mode engaged!

While it looks awful it won't last long. Before you know it she will be all fluffy again.

Yes it's uncomfortable for them and they can act very off in addition to walking oddly.

She is doing great with her regrowth process. I would just keep doing what you're doing and trust that it will all work out.

Back
Top Bottom