Hard Molt?

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
My poor little alpha Salmon Faverolle, Butterfly! She is having a realllllly tough first adult molt. Everyone went through a short, less intense molt last year when they turned 14 months old, but this year is ugly! I just watched my Speckled Sussex, Dottie, lose eight tail feathers in about twenty minutes. Butterfly is normally chatty, very involved, loves to scratch through the leaves and eat the grass seeds, and is usually the first one out the door. Yesterday, she was fine - a little stressed because we had four guys here building a barn. Everyone stayed in the coop most of the day, ate and drank normally, preened and dustbathed inside, but acted quite normally. Today, Butterfly is quiet, didn’t eat much, drank a normal amount, but her wattles and comb are a purplish red and she’s only chatty in short bursts. I think it’s the molt, I hope it’s the molt... She’s lost her remaining tail feathers and a lot of downy feathers since yesterday. No bald spots yet, but sheesh...

Those of you who have been through this before - should I be worried? This was what met me this morning. That’s just from Dottie and Butterfly overnight!

77D25D39-58AE-4299-8F0B-82C5A9620A79.jpeg

Yeah, I’m thinking I might need to mix some starter chow in with their regular layer feed. I’ve been treating them to some mealworms and scrambled eggs too. She’s not a happy little birdie today. Not like she usually is... In fact, all the girls are hanging out in the coop right now. And it’s a gorgeous, sunny, breezy day!

D714361C-0369-489A-9E20-83CA13BC444A.jpeg

My poor Butterfly! Every time she shakes, she loses about twenty feathers!

And poor Dottie has no tail feathers and a bald butt! The Fluffy Butt Hut looks like a pillow bomb blew up!

D139D455-13D9-4C78-AAF3-83062077F650.jpeg

This was yesterday when she still had a few feathers left.

She was a little more chatty today, but she slept on my lap for about 45 minutes this afternoon. Not like her to do that At All! She’s always full of piss and vinegar. Dottie slept on the sand right next to me for a long time too. I think she would have been on my other knee, but Blue was up there and Dot was too tired to fuss at her.

They did both eat more today. And both have been drinking normally. I added some Rooster Booster to their water.

Tomorrow will be another stressful day for them as the guys are coming back to finish the barn. Once that’s done, they’ll be able to relax a bit in the quiet.

Back
Top Bottom