Hard shelled egg with just a yolk inside...

LoriJo

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 5, 2016
Becker County, MN
One of my chickens are laying an egg with just a yolk inside. The shell is hard and looks and feels (and cracks) normal. There is just enough white to hold the yolk together. It tastes normal as well. This is not a one time thing. The last 6 or so eggs have all been the same. It's always the egg that's little darker brown egg and I forget which chicken is laying it but t's the same chicken. All our chicken seem to be acting the same as always. Even though it Winter, we still let our chickens out to roam about like usual. They don't realling like walking in snow, but there are paths that have been cleared.

We've moved last Spring. They didn't lay for a while, which wasn't surprising, then we were getting 2-3 eggs a day (5 chickens but only 2 should be laying for sure). The eggs were normal. I don't remember how many weeks that lasted, then the laying just stopped. Not petering out, one or two eggs here and there. The laying just stopped altogether. This lasted for months. Then about two weeks ago, we were getting an egg a day, then 2 eggs. But, just one of them is just a yolk. It's my favorite part of eating an egg, but...

Why is this? One is Missy, who is a Black Australorp and Clair who is a white Colombian Wyandotte. We've done nothing different...for years (even years before we moved). I live in the Northern half of Minnesota. We're feeding them a layer feed. Same one as always. They get treats of black oil sunflower seeds and kitchen scraps. They love bread. But none of this in any different than what we've done for many years. Anybody have any ideas?

Then about two weeks ago, we were getting an egg a day, then 2 eggs. But, just one of them is just a yolk. It's my favorite part of eating an egg, but...
All the eggs(how many total?) from that bird have little to no albumen(whites)?
Could be a start up glitch or the beginning if the end of her productive life.
How old is this bird, in months?

There were a total of 6 so far, from one hen. The other hen is laying normal eggs. The two hens that are laying are about 21 months old. We bought those chicks in the Spring of 2019.

There were a total of 6 so far, from one hen. The other hen is laying normal eggs. The two hens that are laying are about 21 months old. We bought those chicks in the Spring of 2019.
Might try backing off on the treats, and giving a dose of savachick electrolytes/vitamins for a boost.

Here is a picture of the eggs...before cracked and after. The light one has the lack of egg white, but this time there seems to be a bit more but it's jelly like in the shell. The normal egg is darker/brighter in color but maybe not quite what the images show. Sorry, the lighting wasn't great. Maybe it will gradually turn normal...

Attachments

• Both eggs.jpg
    Both eggs.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Egg 1 and 2.jpg
    Egg 1 and 2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 12
Ooooo that second pic is exactly what I wanted to ask for!!
Shows exactly the lack of albumen compared to a 'good' egg.

That is odd.
Don't remember ever reading of this issue before.
Can't think of anything that would reduce albumen production,
unless maybe she's not drinking enough and why I suggested the EL/Vits.

I live in the Northern half of Minnesota.
Would be good to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1611006233135.png

Back
Top Bottom