hard shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken parm, Nov 19, 2008.

1. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    why is it that my eggs have thicker shells than store bought eggs?

2. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Do you give them free choice oyster shell or mix it in? They are getting more calcium than the store bought eggs. Nothing wrong with it though, as far as I know.

3. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Mine are a tad bit harder than store bought as well which I think is awesome! I don't give them oyster shell either!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had a hen lay her egg on a shelf in the coop - it fell off from about 7ft up and didn't break. [​IMG]
    She keeps laying them up there, and about 50% of the time they do get a crack. But I still think its pretty amazing

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I can toss my silkie eggs twenty feet in the air and when they land on the lawn they don't break.

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    When my son and I were doing our comparisons, we were actually suprised to see that our eggs shells were Ever so slightly Thinner than the store bought, however, they were much harder to crack. We couldn't figure it out at first. Then we noticed that it was the inner Lining of the shell that was much more tough and thick than that of the store bought egg. I think I could almost peel the outter shell off of the membrane without it breaking on our eggs. I suspect this is because our hens are happy and not living under stressed conditions like those in the mass egg production line of work. It's a good sign to have strong eggs!! [​IMG] Even if the shell is a little thinner, it is probably more dense and thus stronger that way too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by