hard yellow stuff in beak

sylviaBirnie

Hatching
Aug 10, 2023
Hi,

One of my two chickens has a prop of hard yellow/white stuff in her beak. Only on one side. It has been there for about three months and it doesn't seem to bother her. Two weeks ago she had a kind of inflammation there and in one eye, but it was gone without treatment in two days. I tried different food, but that didn't change anything. The vet didn't know what it was. Does one of you?
20230810_215550.jpg

Hi,

One of my two chickens has a prop of hard yellow/white stuff in her beak. Only on one side. It has been there for about three months and it doesn't seem to bother her. Two weeks ago she had a kind of inflammation there and in one eye, but it was gone without treatment in two days. I tried different food, but that didn't change anything. The vet didn't know what it was. Does one of you?View attachment 3605304

What do you feed? Sometimes feed/mash can get stuck and dry in the nares to stick like cement.

Does she smell bad when you sniff her face?

I went to a vet with my chicken with the yellow stuff in her nose because I didn't pull it out myself. He did. He gave me an antibiotic fluid to soak the nose. It seems to be an inflammation. thanks for your reactions!

Good info from LaFleche. That can be fairly common to get a nasal obstruction from feed and secretions. It can take several sessions to clean it out. A couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide on a QTip soaking for a few minutes, and a wooden tooth pick to gently dig out the obstruction may be required. Be careful not to damage the nostril, although it may already with the obstruction. Daily treamy ents for a few days are better than one long one.

Back
Top Bottom