hardboiled egg question

I just finished peeling a dozen eggs with great success! I used a combination method. The eggs were roughly 3 weeks old and I followed Carolyn's instructions to the T (salt water, 15 minutes, ice bath) all peeld except one that cracked while it was in the boiling water.

thank you all!!

Good to know! I was wondering the same thing... they looked awful even after I let them sit for a few weeks. I'm going to try the salt water today and I'll let you know! Thanks a bunch!
big_smile.png

I'm glad I found this thread! One question I have is whether or not you need to reduce the cooking time if you're only cooking a few eggs.

Didn't get a chance to try this yet but I have a question... Those of you who have tried this method, did you find that your eggs were a little salty? Or does the salt not penetrate into the egg? Thanks!

I cook the eggs the same time whether 1 or 12.

I found I had to add a lot of salt to the eggs before I started boiling the water before I put the eggs into the pan. I now use about 1 tsp of salt and I have been reducing this a bit. What made the difference for me was boiling the water first then adding the eggs. Cover, reduce heat, set the timer, drain immediately then cool quickly using ice. Peel them as soon as they are cool enough to handle. I have cracked the shell and refrigerated them but sometimes you get the greenish cast and sometimes those don't peel as well. Using a spoon to lower the eggs helps keep you from cracking one in process.

With the lesser amount of salt the eggs don't get salty. I didn't notice them being salty with a large amount of salt but I thought the whites were sometimes rubbery. I am not sure how one would taste if the shell accidentally cracked.

Last edited:
Quote:
we don't boil, we coddle... makes for MUCH more tender eggs, the whites don't get rubbery.
here's how:
add room temp eggs to pan, cover with room temp water. add some salt.
bring to a roiling boil, then immediately remove from heat and cover with a lid.
let sit 18-22 minutes depending on the size of the egg (longer at higher altitudes).
put the eggs in an ice bath to stop cooking process, adding ice if the water warms up.

you'll need to experiment with the time for your egg size to get it just right. coddling makes the *perfect* boiled egg! no green edges on the yolk, no rubbery whites. I think the salt helps with peeling, as does the icing. My hubby says add a little vinegar to the water instead of salt, but I haven't tested the theory. older eggs definitely peel better than fresher ones.

ETA: coddling makes the whites tender enough that they may not hold up for deviled eggs, but they're perfect for things like egg salad.

Last edited:
We agree with all .All we do diff is when you pour water off after boiling put lid on and shake around to crack them a bit(just a couple shakes )then throw a couple handfull of ice on them.Let sit tell cool to cold.Then peel....cva34

Did an experiment today. I took 8, 10 day old eggs and one egg layed today. Let all eggs get to room temp, added 1/4 cup of salt to the water, with eggs in the water put it on the fire and brought to a heavy boil put on lid and cut off fire. Let them sit for 15 min. (Barred Rock eggs) Then put straight into Ice and added water. Let sit until chilled. Coould not tell the today egg or the 10 day old eggs. All were perfect! I have read that different breads peeled different. But of course as I have alsways said I have the smartest chickens in the world.
tongue.png

I bought some of the EGGIES they advertie on TV break the egg in the plastic eggies then boil, don't have to peel them works great. Now i keep boiled eggs in the fridge all the time and it doesn't matter how fresh they are you don't have to boil the shell so they don't have to be peeled. I use butter to grease them so the cooked eggs will slide out easy. LOVE THEM

Back
Top Bottom