Hardware Cloth - Any tips?

6chick*start

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
NE OKlahoma
Today we will be installing the hardware cloth, 1/2" over 1/4" covering the whole thing and around bottom of coop.
Double chicken wire on top.
My spousal unit seems to think this will be a piece a cake.
Not according to the talk here on BYC I said.
Jeff will be using washers and screws to attach.
We would appreciate any tips you may have for working with hardware cloth, getting it to cooperate.
Got the leather gloves ...
Thank you!

Last edited:
The gloves will help - I wasn't that smart and got all scraped up when I set mine in. actaully that was more on my arms. But from the picture, it looks like you know what you are doing so you should have no problem. I'm excited to see what that all looks like when you are done, please send pics.

Long sleeves and gloves
big_smile.png
. It sure does look like you know what you are doing! I think the only thing on your design that I would do (when I copy you that is
tongue.png
) is to make sure my "run" is moveable as the chickens will make dirt out of grass in 2.2 seconds
D.gif
I figure I could grow a few different "crops" on the 3 available sides of the coup
thumbsup.gif
The only thing that changes I think is the whereabouts of the nesting boxes on the inside...they might have to be moveable as well
idunno.gif
.....just pondering how I am going to make mine when we move...

Having had a scratched cornea, from a roll of wire springing back at me, I recommend some kind of eye covering. Other than that, sounds like ya'll are on track!

Okay thanks.
Leather Gloves, check
Long sleeve shirt, check. Supposed to be 90 today!
Eyewear, check
Hoping we come out of this day with minimal bickering, not yet checked but will let you know.
Gonna be a long day!

scooldog, We are putting a salad bar at the end.
Hmm wondering if a roost above that would be good for droppings or too strong?
Our seed is a chicken mix that has all the omega3s going for it, clover, different ryes ...
As soon as all the grass is gone we will dump a load of sand in the run.
Also making a tractor run.
Good luck with yours.

I started using a loop of parachute cord as a handle to help pull it taught. Did a much nicer job that way.

To take the curl out of it, unroll it so the curve digs into the ground. Unroll a few feet at a time and walk on it. If it's still springing around, walk on it again, so it stays flat. Unroll some more, flatten, unroll, flatten. Much easier to work with. I love working with hardware cloth. When it's been flattened, it's like the plywood of wire fencing, nice and stable in shape, no stretching. I normally wear gloves and jeans when doing construction work.

Quote:
I discovered that method after the eye injury, she's absolutely correct!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom