Hardware cloth floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by speedy2020, Mar 27, 2012.

1. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I want to replace my wood floor with 1/2"x1" hardware cloth for easy cleaning. Have anyone done it? What is the best hole size and easy for chickens feet? Please share your opinion.

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Depends on the chicken breed. For some breeds , like Jersey Giants or other heavy breeds it might not a good idea at all. The wire can cut into their feet and cause bumble foot and infections.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I use 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth as the floor of my brooder. I have not seen any foot problems. The chick poop falls on through, partly because it is so small and partly because they walk on it and scratch it through.

I have occasionally used this brooder for larger chickens for isolation. Their poop does not fall through but builds up. It can stay wet too and not dry out. That's not healthy.

I have not tried 1/2" x 1" so have no experience with it. I'll just say I don't think 1/2" x 1/2" will work the way you want. I strongly suspect a larger size would work, but I don't have experience to know what size.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I will check out the vinyl lactate from Home Depot this week. It sound like the hardware cloth isn't good idea for large bird.

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

It's at either bid box home improvement store- same stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by