Hardware cloth for chicken run question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jbudin2000, Jan 28, 2016.

1. jbudin2000

jbudin2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    What gague and size 1/4 " or 1/2" hardware cloth is best to use for run and protection unter the coop?

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

1/4" and 1/2" is the size, not the gauge. The higher the gauge number the weaker. So as an example, 24 gauge is not as strong as 19 gauge.

For choosing the size, I personally would go for the 1/4"...mice can get through the 1/2".

3. jbudin2000

Jan 28, 2016
    Like gold, the higher the softer. I did not now this. Thank you.
    Mice can get through 1/2 inch cloth. The must be Tea Cup mice, heehe.

4. jbudin2000

Jan 28, 2016
    Any suggestions for seaming together sections of cloth for the run?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m not sure they will work for ¼” wire but you might check out J-clips. You can normally find them and the tool you’ll need in the rabbit section at Tractor Supply. I’ve used them on ½” wire but they may be too wide for ¼”.

You might try hog rings or shoat rings but they might be a little too big around in diameter to cinch up tight.

It‘s a pain in the butt you can sew them together with a strand of flexible wire. You might need a person on both sides to thread it back and forth.

As a last resort take two planks and sandwich the ends between them, fixing them together with screws. Clamp the two planks together tightly and put a few screws going through the holes in the hardware cloth from both sides. It should hold really well.

6. jbudin2000

Jan 28, 2016
    [​IMG]Excellent suggestions, thank you

7. 3baymares

3baymares Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    North Atlanta area, USA
    I measured it out so that I had support wood at the ends. So, every 3ft. I put a post and then did the wire straight up instead of wrapping it around.
    If you are going around then you would put a support 2x4 across at that point.

1 person likes this.
  8. ffibyar

ffibyar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    lorain county, Ohio
    From what I was told in one of my questions is for your chickens safety 1/2 is what you want to use.

The areas I needed to cover were just windows, vents and I made a screen door last week and used 1/2" hardware cloth.

When I did have to join my chicken wire together, I had smaller size zip ties and lashing wire laying around form doing cable and fiber work years ago. The wire was a stainless steel and I just cut short lengths and twisted them tight to seal the joint.

That is if it wasn't a place where I couldn't use a 2 by to secure the joint, like 3baymares said. My feeling is the best when it can be used.

Oh, and as weird as it sounds, I looked it up and a younger mouse can fit through a 1/2" opening. I didn't believe it but it's on the internet so it must be true!!!

9. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    We used 1/4" hardware cloth on our run. Across the top where it overlapped I whip stitched the seams together with copper wire (what we had on hand). This was time consuming but easy. I don't have to worry about anything squeezing through.

10. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    In some places I use screws, but mostly bailing wire.
    I like things easy to take apart when the wife wants to do re-arranging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by