Hardware Cloth for Coop

Thanks for the input on snakes. I suppose I'll have to cloth the vents that are 13' above ground, too...if they can climb the sides of walls! Our birds will free range so coop door will be open during the day. That is to say, daytime critters such as mice will be able to get in the coop door while it's open. I suppose snakes, too. I guess there are many more risks when you free range....it is what it is.

And holy crap. I see zero difference in the construction of 1" "welded wire" and 1/2" "hardware cloth."

I suppose I'll have to cloth the vents that are 13' above ground, too...if they can climb the sides of walls!

There are a lot of climbing predators so all vents should be protected.

I don't know if it's true, but I've been told that a hawk won't generally fly into a window but an owl will.

I see zero difference in the construction of 1" "welded wire" and 1/2" "hardware cloth."
Me either, but I don't fight it. That might make some difference to someone in the industry, maybe it is a legal term, that may be when it becomes "industrial" cloth. But if someone says '1" hardware cloth' on this forum I know what they are talking about and the vast majority of people on here would not know the difference. But if you are looking for it at the store or online I have yet to see any product labelled 1" hardware cloth. I could see my wife being confused over something like that if she were at the store looking for it.

Something like a pullet becoming a hen on her first birthday. Technically that is correct, a pullet becomes a hen when she is one year old. That might be a nice bit of trivia to know, but on here I find it irrelevant when you are talking about behaviors, which we usually are. To me it is usually much more important to know if they are laying or not. Besides, how much do you trust anybody in here to know the difference? I see just hatched female chicks to juveniles referred to as hens all the time. If age is important, and it often is, you still have to ask.

I used standard chicken fencing around the entire coop, and added 1/2" hardware cloth around the bottom 2' to prevent predators reaching their paws in.

Me either, but I don't fight it. That might make some difference to someone in the industry, maybe it is a legal term, that may be when it becomes "industrial" cloth. But if someone says '1" hardware cloth' on this forum I know what they are talking about and the vast majority of people on here would not know the difference. But if you are looking for it at the store or online I have yet to see any product labelled 1" hardware cloth. I could see my wife being confused over something like that if she were at the store looking for it.

Something like a pullet becoming a hen on her first birthday. Technically that is correct, a pullet becomes a hen when she is one year old. That might be a nice bit of trivia to know, but on here I find it irrelevant when you are talking about behaviors, which we usually are. To me it is usually much more important to know if they are laying or not. Besides, how much do you trust anybody in here to know the difference? I see just hatched female chicks to juveniles referred to as hens all the time. If age is important, and it often is, you still have to ask.
I've found 1' mesh called hardware cloth on Amazon. They also call black plastic mesh hardware cloth even though its not a steel mesh( which just proves your point).

Took awhile to find some there, but the 1" I found was coated and 17ga before coating and 19ga after coating, but it was not called hardware cloth.
??

I am confused. Wire thickness is specified via it's "guage"; the lower the number the thicker the wire. Your statement saying "17ga before coating19ga after coating" cannot be correct. 17ga wire is 0.0453" thick, 19ga is 0.0359" (per https://precmfgco.com/wp-content/up...Wire-Gauge-AWG-Sizes-and-Properties-Table.png).

Galvanizing with zinc is always under 10 microns, usually 6. A micron is a unit of length equivalent to a millionth of a meter. In short "coating" a wire will not change the thickness of wire to any meaningful degree.

I believe welded wire and hardware cloth are the same thing. https://www.hardwarecloth.org/wire_cloth/general_technical_information.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom