Hardware cloth gauge.

DamnYankee

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
Lincolnton, NC
Hello all. Another post got me to thinking about hardware cloth. I have my coop mostly framed out. I should be able to install the hardware cloth to the run soon. I see both 23 & 19 gauge, among others, on Amazon & MyPetChicken. Would 23 gauge suffice or should I go heavier.

Thanks

Last edited:
heavier prob better. i cant remember if the guages are higher or lower for metal...
my prev rolls were 19. now this newer roll has no label.....
Heck I found it cheaper at a farm supply store they had it in stock. wish I known earlier.....
they prob had it a long time at least $10 to 15 dollars cheaper than a another farm store that had to order it. 50 foot rolls of course. Hubby puts the roll on a pipe for me and put that pipe thru two metal milk carton. wow so much easier. almost feels like a paper toel holder. He is such a wunderful genius most times.
and another store only has 100 feet rolls. Too late for my use. and heavier for me to handle
I just can not believe the number of people who chintz out and use only poultry wire..... I know a few personally....You get what you paid for.
Of course this is just my humble opinion too

The lower the gauge number the bigger the wire. Pretty much all the 1/4" HWC I've seen is 23 gauge but it basically has twice the amount of wires compared to the 19 gauge 1/2" HWC.

Back
Top Bottom