Hardware cloth on soffit

FullHouseMama

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2018
Wisconsin
029E2352-BA41-464A-931F-13B75560C777.jpeg FF90997E-95F9-4AB3-A9D5-F4228A865443.jpeg I planned to leave my roof soffit open for ventilation and secure it with hardware cloth. Now that we are all that point I don’t know the best way to do it. Any suggestions?

If you put a face plate board across the front of your roof joist, you can attach your HWC to the bottom of that. Then run it up to your coop and bend the wire down and attach the HWC to your wall, using screws long enough to screw into the 2 x 4. You can put a piece of trim up to cover where the HWC attaches to the front for a finished look, if you want.

Hope I explained it ok. Here's mine done the same way, except I also put a piece of trim on front of the face plate, just to finish it off.

Sofit with HW cloth.jpg
20180401_163407.jpg

In my case, my plans called for a 2x4 sub fascia. I attached the hardware cloth to the 2x4 with stainless steel washers and screws and 1 1/2" stainless steel staples. I then pre-bent the hc with another 2x4, and attached it all to the rafter ends. Like @blackdog043 I covered mine where it attached to the coop with a 1x4 trim piece to hide the edge.

IMG_2914.jpg
IMG_2894.jpg
IMG_2897.jpg

So glad you found the pictures and thread helpful! Don’t be worried at all about not “getting it” without the pictures. I was thinking along similar lines as you until I found posts and examples here on BYC. @aart had advice in one post to make a “sample” or “model” first, and so I did that with some scrap wire mesh and an 18” piece of 2x4. This was hugely beneficial for me, because once I was in the shop, it was easy to to get confused what went which direction. My model helped me keep it all straight. It’s a great community here, glad you found the post here and we were able to save you some time!

Back
Top Bottom