Hardware cloth or Poultry wire for protection?

NonTypicalCPA

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
SW Michigan
I'm putting up my run that is a double dog kennel with chain link fence. My plan is to put up either hardware cloth or poultry wire over the chain link up from the gound to 2 feet and out from the run horizontally 2 feet. Which should I use? What size?

I'm a newbie so hopefully someone in the know will chime in but I'll tell you what we're doing (for what it's worth.)
smile.png
We are putting 16 guage 1/2" welded wire hardware cloth from the bottom up to two feet (as you are). We wanted to make sure no chicken parts could fit through the openings. We're also going to dig down a bit and put the cloth under the edges and out at least a foot, probably closer to two. Where our run is going to be, it's not feasable to dig straight down very far to bury the wire so someone else suggested going out and covering it with dirt then growing something (probably grass) over it to keep it anchored. We'll also be covering the top of the run with hardware cloth to keep out flying predators (we have eagles and hawks here that we see daily.)

1/2" square hardware cloth can keep those raccoon paws out. Personally I'd go up at least to two and half to three feet high to be sure no raccoon paws can reach from above the hens if they are heavy standard chickens. I'm doing my entire run with it to keep rats out too. Rats can climb past the 2 feet so they can still get in your run but the biggest thing is protect from those raccoons!
thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately, our apex predators around here are cougar and bobcat. Not sure even hardware cloth would keep them out if they were serious about it. Our plan is to use 1/2" hardware cloth in the 4' size, burying about a foot of it, then use the 2" welded wire "no-climb" fence for the rest of the vertical run and probably just chicken wire for the top. I know the eagles and hawks can get through chicken wire, but they want to swoop and pounce, not land and struggle to get through the chicken wire - I figure the visibility of the chicken wire is a reasonably good defense (don't like the idea of invisible line and entangling them, I'd like to prevent it from the start).

Quote:
If it is HEAVY GAUGE chainlink, not the weebly stuff they often sell for cheap that even a dog can pull apart, IMHO poultry wire is adequate to protect a run from reach-through (although 1/2" poulty wire, if you can find it, is better than the usual 1").

Nothing *wrong* with hardware cloth, but when it is backed by something strong like good chainlink and it's just a run not the coop itself, I honestly do not think it offers much extra value for the considerable extra expense.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
Where did you find the 16 guage 1/2" wire? I've checked The Home Depot and our local hardward (ACE) store and they sell only the 19 guage. Thanks!

Quote:
Where did you find the 16 guage 1/2" wire? I've checked The Home Depot and our local hardward (ACE) store and they sell only the 19 guage. Thanks!

Me too--where to get the 16 gauge stuff??
pop.gif

I would back up the chain link with 1" poultry wire, then take the money that I saved in not buying hardware cloth and buy an electric fence charger, wire and insulators.

Not totally fool proof, but I tell you one thing, if Mr Coon, Ms Cougar, or Sir Bobcat, hits that charged wire they will take off like their hair was on fire with thier *** a catchin.

Back
Top Bottom