Hardware cloth over window

cdahl383

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
It’s getting warmer now and keeping the windows shut makes the coop too warm by morning when I let them out.

So I put some 1/4” hardware cloth over the one window that I left open. I used 16 screws with washers and snugged them down really tight.

Do you think this will keep predators out or no? Makes me nervous keeping the window open all night.

I could also shut the window more so it’s only open about 3” which would still let some airflow in and out without and make it harder for bigger predators to get in.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

1BFF8B36-AD0A-42F8-A0C8-EA55B58D2CF9.jpeg
8AE0787D-1070-4DF6-BA49-A0D9B059E210.jpeg
94FF934C-B959-4A2F-89DD-5CA054D16516.jpeg

Fender washers would be better, if you can find them. You can see 4 of them here, note the size of washer compared to wire opening:

View attachment 2162090

Are those windows the only ventilation to your coop? Really need to have them open at all times if they are.
I stopped with the washer nonsense long ago. I have entirely too much excess lumber to repurpose and was shocked at HD prices for those things new.

I'm not trying to be hypercritical here but if I wanted I could pick up 10 discarded pallets per week where I live and just do a thin wooden overlay and paint it up to match the original structure for near free instead vs paying insane money ever again for washers.

Also I find it cheaper to buy wood screws with the locknut style washer built in vs ever again going to the major home improvment stores for washers.

I am in complete agreement on the ventilation needs for the coop as well. :)

Last edited:
I stopped with the washer nonsense long ago. I have entirely too much excess lumber to repurpose and was shocked at HD prices for those things new.

I'm not trying to be hypercritical here but if I want I can pick up 10 pallets per week here where I live and just do a thin wooden overlay and paint it up to match the original structure for near free instead vs paying insane money ever again for washers.

Oh wood sandwiching/overlay works very well too - I'd say go with whichever works easiest for the person doing the install. I bought a bulk bag of fender washers since I couldn't find the size I wanted from big box or local stores, so it ended up being not much more costly than the screws themselves per piece.

So I put some 1/4” hardware cloth over the one window that I left open. I used 16 screws with washers and snugged them down really tight.

Do you think this will keep predators out or no? Makes me nervous keeping the window open all night.
I did the exact same thing to one of my coop's windows and have not had any break ins. I frequently see raccoon prints around that particular coop, and so far so good (over a year now).

I'm not trying to be hypercritical here but if I wanted I could pick up 10 discarded pallets per week where I live and just do a thin wooden overlay and paint it up to match the original structure for near free instead vs paying insane money ever again for washers.

Also I find it cheaper to buy wood screws with the locknut style washer built in vs ever again going to the major home improvment stores for washers.

I am in complete agreement on the ventilation needs for the coop as well. :)

I have tons of screws, washers, bolts, nuts, etc in the garage, so I just used that stuff. I don’t really see where a package of screws or washers is that much money. But putting some wood over it would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom