Hardware Cloth Question for the Run

aineo

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
I have finished my coop, but now I need to get the run built for the chickens. I have read the importance of using hardware cloth over chicken wire, but I want to be sure I understand why. Is it because of the size of the holes or the strength of the material? Or is it both. I ask because I can get this hardware cloth (http://www.lowes.com/pd_92253-16418...l=1&currentURL=?Ntt=hardware+cloth&facetInfo=) with 2"x3" holes at a significant discount over the 1/2" hardware cloth. Thoughts?

I'm still new to it all but I think that hardware cloth would be best for keeping chickens out of the garden. The way I understand it, critters like rats and raccoons can still get in/stick a hand in through holes of this size and get at the chickens, or the eggs, depending on how the run and coop are connected. I guess, I'm saying that I think the strength AND the size of the holes are both important. I could be wrong--I hope to hear more from more experienced people.

chiknhurder, if I am understanding you right, then the 2"x3" holes in the larger hardware cloth should not be an issue other than the potential for an animal to reach through or a smaller animal to crawl through.

chiknhurder, if I am understanding you right, then the 2"x3" holes in the larger hardware cloth should not be an issue other than the potential for an animal to reach through or a smaller animal to crawl through.
I think thats what he's getting at. You could do something similar to my run. the bottom 2 ft or so is 1/2 in hardware cloth. then above that use the cheaper wire with the bigger holes.

My run is 2x4 inch welded wire and my coop is 1/2x1/2 inch hardware cloth. I've not had anything try to get into my coop nor dig under my fence but I am planning on adding 2x4 inch welded wire over my hardware cloth since the hardware cloth would be the weakest point in the coop. I recently built a smaller coop for broody hens and I used both 1/2x1/2 inch and 2x4 inch wire. Here's a photo of my coop.

By the way, the 3 foot high welded wire fence has now been replace with a 5 foot high fence that covers 100 feet by 40 feet for their run.

Last edited:
I think thats what he's getting at. You could do something similar to my run. the bottom 2 ft or so is 1/2 in hardware cloth. then above that use the cheaper wire with the bigger holes.
What I'm getting at is that even a weasel could rip through a chicken wire fence. Chicken wire is meant to keep chickens in but not predators out.

Back
Top Bottom