Hardware Cloth question

Weasleymum

Songster
11 Years
Aug 1, 2008
Virginia
I see the use of 1/4" hardware cloth mentioned a lot here-- to line small chicken tractors, inside of windows/vents, etc. What can get in through the 1/2" wire that can't get through the 1/4"?

I was going to line the run for my tractor with the 1/4" as instructed, but the Lowes here happens to be out of it. I can just wait until they restock, but my husband was asking me why the 1/2" wouldn't work... and I don't know!

Little legs can go thru 1/2 inch. Believe me if you have ever had to shear the meat off a chicks leg trying to get it out of 1/2 inch hardware cloth, you would know EXACTLY why. Please do wait til they restock.

Kristen, why wouldn't you cut the hardware cloth instead of the bird's leg?

Unless you are using it as a floor in a brooder, I think the 1/2" would be fine. I used 1/2" for the windows in my coop, nothing has gone through. The 1/2" is easier to work with.

My reason for getting the 1/4 inch (didn't know about the feet getting stuck) is that we have the entire weasel family up here. The little stoats can smash themselves through a 1/2 inch gap and the kill every chicken in one night.
tongue.gif

We have alot of predators up here too.
The growing pen is made up of 1/2" hardware cloth.
Nothing has gotten through it in 4 years of use.
The 1/2" is also stronger wire than the 1/4".

spot

Our coop windows are covered in 1/2" hardware cloth; I can't imagine a raccoon being able to stick its hand in and do damage. 1/2" is really quite small!
1/4" may help to keep out mice, though.... if you believe you'll have a problem with that, you might want to get the smaller size.
***Just make sure the gauge of the hardcloth is 19 or 18. ***
Any higher number (which equals a lighter weight cloth) may make it easier for a predator to get into the area.

Carla

When we were at the Ace Hardware, we saw the 1/4 hard ware and the 1/2 hard ware.

We picked the 1/2 inch because it looked stronger and they had a 48 inch roll and a 24 inch roll.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
The turkey had it's leg bent at the knee and then shoved through, with the 1/4 inch hardware cloth there wasn't any room to get the wire cutters in there with it's knee too. I applied vaseline and we had to wiggle it out. He had some skin tears but i treated them as soon as we got him loose and he's fine now. But I will say that it was horrible at the time.

Back
Top Bottom