Hardware cloth roof

Ekischicks

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2019
NH
Will a hardware cloth roof sag? Will obviously need to use a snow broom to clear it off in winter. Planning on using hardware cloth for the roof and attaching it to the peak of the coop and reinforcing the other pieces with 2 by 4s. The corner posts are level, so aside from the coop roof, there’s not much of a pitch. The coop windows and run are done with hardware cloth, so we have plenty leftover.

Attachments

• B5AA1E0E-9E3B-4B1F-9EEF-8B7C5A7D672B.jpeg
    B5AA1E0E-9E3B-4B1F-9EEF-8B7C5A7D672B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Hi There.
Although i live in UK my husband used this on ours he built. It is similar
run to your one. We then bought this, to place over the top, i have copied it for you
to have a look. Bought ours from Amazon uk. the cover itself, has eylet holes as well.
So he screwed some screws, halfway down the run, outside, and then we bought a pack,
of bungee ropes, diffrent sizes in a pack. Copied them both, for you to see We have a
lot of rain here, and this cover is brilliant to keep them dry. Just make sure you pull it
as tight across as you can, then use the bungee ropes to hold it down. Works brilliant
for us, plus they are not expensive either. Thought it may give you an idea, hope this has helped. The cover is really thick, and was a great buy. Plus, it is huge, but really thick.
Good luck.

• 61nVu%2BMKdML._SX466_.jpg
Clear Tarpaulin Reinforced 3M X 4M Rain Sheet Tarp Sheeting Cover

• 81VEE%2B-jAEL._SX466_.jpg

60 Ball Bungees Tarpaulin Bungee Ties Tarp Shock Cord.
You can buy the cover in diffrent colors, but we
got white, as it do not stop the light coming through, but also acts as a great sun shade.
The bungee ties, we bought in a pack, 3 diffrent
sizes, which were brilliant, as my husband then
placed screws outside on diffrent levels, to make
the cover tight. Scroll to bottom, as there are more pics of the cover. See what you think.

• 51Z89MULk4L._SS40_.jpg
  • 41RfhuX%2BWcL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51UMWuD4ENL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41r39ca8BRL._SS40_.jpg

• 610orQyQBnL._SX466_.jpg
Roll over image to zoom in
Clear Tarpaulin Reinforced 3M X 4M Rain Sheet Tarp Sheeting Cover 10ft x 13ft

by DYNATEX

Price: £13.99 & FREE delivery

It will, but we used chicken wire over our small chain link dog run to keep birds of prey out but let snow through. We placed a couple planks across the narrower dimension of the run to support the chicken wire, attaching them to the metal portion of the run to keep them in place. So far, so good. Not a solution for a huge space, but it can work.

Will a hardware cloth roof sag? Will obviously need to use a snow broom to clear it off in winter. Planning on using hardware cloth for the roof and attaching it to the peak of the coop and reinforcing the other pieces with 2 by 4s. The corner posts are level, so aside from the coop roof, there’s not much of a pitch. The coop windows and run are done with hardware cloth, so we have plenty leftover.
I'd add several supports under the HC...and make sure you attach it well.
Overlap pieces by at least 1.5-2" and no screws in first row of HC edge holes,
always go to second or third row of holes.

How will you reach it with a snow broom...and what is a 'snow broom'??

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Ekischicks
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-5-27_17-49-40.png

I'd add several supports under the HC...and make sure you attach it well.
Overlap pieces by at least 1.5-2" and no screws in first row of HC edge holes,
always go to second or third row of holes.

How will you reach it with a snow broom...and what is a 'snow broom'??

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Ekischicks
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1791438
Geography changed! So a snow broom is essentially just a large hard sponge like mop on an extender pole that’s good for cleaning snow off of taller cars/vans/trucks

Back
Top Bottom