Hardware Cloth Size and Guage Choice Dilemma

I may have missed it but I see people putting the hardware cloth on the inside and some people put it on the outside. Is it just a preference? Thanks

One thing I've thought about is that there is a tiny bit more space with the wire outside the framing. However, that leaves the framing exposed to the chickens, where it may get dirtier and be harder to clean. The plus to putting the wire inside is that it will keep the framework cleaner. The downside is that the chickens are then exposed to the edges of the wire (and fastening points) where they might be injured. Inside might also be more attractive, since the edges of the wire won't show. Sandwiching a thinner piece of trim over the wire will mitigate some of the shortcomings no matter which side you put your wire.

So-- it boils down to a matter of personal opinion and preference. :D

Wow! You must be a real chick mama already. How does it feel? Where is the coop? It must already be finished! I bet they have changed your life! Congratulations!! I went a little crazy over here and ordered 12 chicks (speckled Sussex, barred rock, americauna and australorp, ! 😱 They will arrive anytime between April 10 and 20. I’m just starting the renovation of our coop and run which we inherited when we bought this place. My thoughts are constantly with predators and now wondering if I should get an automatic coop door for convenience. So much to consider! How is your predator situation?
I guess I am a real chick mama! Haha! It feels great! We love them so much. Our coop is not quite finished yet. Looks like it will be done this week and the ladies will be moving out of my house! The coop is in our backyard. We are repurposing my son's wooden playset. It's been kinda difficult because we have run into some issues that we wouldn't have if we just built on our own. No worries though! It will all be worth it soon. Our predator situation is not great. We have owls, hawks, raccoons, etc... Their run and coop will be fully enclosed with the 1/2" hardware cloth and won't be allowed outside of it because of the predator issues. They will have plenty of room in their run for sure!

I guess I am a real chick mama! Haha! It feels great! We love them so much. Our coop is not quite finished yet. Looks like it will be done this week and the ladies will be moving out of my house! The coop is in our backyard. We are repurposing my son's wooden playset. It's been kinda difficult because we have run into some issues that we wouldn't have if we just built on our own. No worries though! It will all be worth it soon. Our predator situation is not great. We have owls, hawks, raccoons, etc... Their run and coop will be fully enclosed with the 1/2" hardware cloth and won't be allowed outside of it because of the predator issues. They will have plenty of room in their run for sure!
Wishing you lots of luck in your new world! It will work out — I’m excited for your journey!

We are working on getting our first chicken coop built for our new ISA Brown chicks and I have a question about the hardware cloth. We live in Coastal GA and will be completely enclosing our coop and run to keep predators out. We have the possibility of raccoons, possums, hawks, owls, rats, mice, etc.. getting in and we want to keep them all out! I'm debating on the 1/4" or 1/2" Hardware Cloth. My questions are:

Is the 1/2" large enough for these predators to get in or is that size still effective?
- I would prefer to use this size because the gauge is lower (19 gauge) than 1/4" (23 gauge).

Is the 1/4" strong enough?
- I ask this because the gauge seems to be a little more flimsy than I would like (23 gauge)

What would you go with if it were your coop in my area, the 1/4" (23 gauge) or the 1/2" (19 gauge)?

Thank you so much for any advice you could offer!
We have both so I can compare, although I think I paid for extra heavy guage of 1/2" hardware cloth. The 1/4" is NOT heavy enough IMHO to alone keep out predators. We have extra stalls in our barn, but did not want to totally get rid of them, so we chose to predator proof them. I had hubby cover the outside bars of the stall and over the top with the 1/2" hardware cloth. NOTHING is getting through it if you secure it with screws and washers. I know a 200# man can stand on the ceiling and not get in. But there were some gaps between the boards that I was afraid mice or snakes would be able to get through. I loathe snakes and we have a LOT of them in Missouri, and some of the really can climb, so he lined the inside with the 1/4". It worked well for that purpose. I would use it again over the inside of windows that were covered with 1/2" wire on the outside of a coop.

I planned on using netting for the top. I had a trail cam out for over a year, and even though I know there's a Fox in the area, I never saw it on the camera. Nor did I see any Racoons. Just rabbits, Deer and a skunk. I'm pretty sure having a Dog around keeps the Fox away. From now on the entire space between my house and garage will be blocked by the Duck and pond area so it will no longer be a thoroughfare.

We have both so I can compare, although I think I paid for extra heavy guage of 1/2" hardware cloth. The 1/4" is NOT heavy enough IMHO to alone keep out predators. We have extra stalls in our barn, but did not want to totally get rid of them, so we chose to predator proof them. I had hubby cover the outside bars of the stall and over the top with the 1/2" hardware cloth. NOTHING is getting through it if you secure it with screws and washers. I know a 200# man can stand on the ceiling and not get in. But there were some gaps between the boards that I was afraid mice or snakes would be able to get through. I loathe snakes and we have a LOT of them in Missouri, and some of the really can climb, so he lined the inside with the 1/4". It worked well for that purpose. I would use it again over the inside of windows that were covered with 1/2" wire on the outside of a coop.
Is your coop in the barn?

Back
Top Bottom