Hardware cloth vs Chicken wire

SweetTea&Chicks

Songster
5 Years
Nov 13, 2017
NW Georgia
I'm wanting hardware cloth for the run but it might be too much. What will be the difference between chicken wire and hardware. I know hardware cloth is safer. If we just got chicken wire I couldn't sleep thinking about a raccoon chewing through the wire. I also need some integrating tips for 5-8 week olds with a killer game hen. That's a different story for a different time. But I'm pretty sure I know what I'm gonna do for that. Thanks!!

Hardware cloth is welded together, most chicken wire I've seen is twisted together, so the holes are kind of flexible and can be stretched a bit. I think that's the main difference.

Hardware cloth is more expensive, but we chose to use it to save money on repairs and lost chickens in the long run. In our 2 years of having chickens, we have not had to replace any of it, and no non-chicken critters have managed to get inside.

Hardware cloth is just stronger it is welded together. and has less holes depending on how you buy it, bigger holes, cheaper. I recommend just buying 2x4 garden wire. It has big holes and a raccoon can reach through and most likely not chew through, but its stronger than chicken wire and more protective. I have a little area under our coop (we call it Guantanamo) that is made by 1/2 inch hardware cloth weaved together with wire. We put them in there during the day when we're not home. Then i let them into the run with the 2x4 holes. I've had no problems. Hawks are not able to get in either. We cut costs and put chicken wire on top to prevent hawks. I suggest with the chick wait until it is the same size as the biggest hen or the rest of the flock. That way they're less likely to get picked on.

Also, we were buying hardware cloth from Harbor Freight, but we found it cheaper at our local feed store. After talking to the owner, he ordered it for us, almost at cost.

I'm wanting hardware cloth for the run but it might be too much. What will be the difference between chicken wire and hardware. I know hardware cloth is safer. If we just got chicken wire I couldn't sleep thinking about a raccoon chewing through the wire. I also need some integrating tips for 5-8 week olds with a killer game hen. That's a different story for a different time. But I'm pretty sure I know what I'm gonna do for that. Thanks!!
Hardware cloth keeps things out.
Chicken wire keeps thing in.

Honestly, you will pay for hardware cloth now, or you will pay for it later after losses to predators. It's much easier to do it right the first time. If you want predator proof, then anything with larger openings than 1/2 hardware cloth is not going to accomplish that. I bought mine from a small local hardware store by the roll, they ordered it for me, it was much cheaper that way. Call around and get some prices, it can vary. And you will find uses for any extra you have left, I promise!

You answered your own question

Honestly, you will pay for hardware cloth now, or you will pay for it later after losses to predators. It's much easier to do it right the first time. If you want predator proof, then anything with larger openings than 1/2 hardware cloth is not going to accomplish that. I bought mine from a small local hardware store by the roll, they ordered it for me, it was much cheaper that way. Call around and get some prices, it can vary. And you will find uses for any extra you have left, I promise!
If you happen to go to Lowe's for it, and ask where it is, you might get told they don't handle it; I was. When I found it in the garden center, I took the clerk back there & showed her what & where it was.

Back
Top Bottom