hardware cloth vs welded wire for run roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimla, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jimla

jimla Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    I just finished framing a 4 ft W x 10 ft H x 4 ft H run. The sides are covered with hardware cloth. the roof is flat and will likey have a tarp for shade and rain. Any downside to using 2x4 inch welded wire fence for the top since no predator can reach in from the top? The wire could reduce snow load some without a tarp. And its cheaper than cloth.

2. jimla

jimla Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    that should be 10 feet long not 10 feet high

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i don't think so but i'm new my run is similar 1/2 in wire mesh on the sides except i overlapped two layers of chicken wire on the top.

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, You will be fine using the welded wire. Definitely wouldn't use hardware cloth. use something with larger openings if you are in snow load area. Flying bad guys still won't have access to your girls even with the larger dimension mest. I use chain link. But, in the south so don't have the snow to deal with. I think you can get a welded wire in wider widths as well. Good luck.
    Erik

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you close the chickens up at night then the welded wire should be fine. You worry about weasels and rats with anything greater than 1/2" hardware cloth. They come at night from what I have read.

6. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I used hardware cloth because I wanted to keep out rodents. I don't have to worry about snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by