Hardware Cloth

tdmopar67

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2020
Skippack, PA
Hi all,

I have just got done designing (probably over-designing) my coop for my wife and I's soon to be flock.

The biggest issue I am having is tracking down hardware cloth at a somewhat reasonable price. Our house backs up to a state park so I want to be sure the chicken will stay safe in the coop and run. I was going to lay down a base layer 2 foot past all sides of the coop, run the walls of the run, and the roof of the run.

My main question is should I use hardware cloth for everything or a combo of hardware cloth and chicken wire.

My following question is where is the best place to get Hardware cloth.

I live in Skippack Pennsylvania and I assume 1/2 squares would be just fine for my application. Any input is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have just got done designing (probably over-designing) my coop for my wife and I's soon to be flock.

The biggest issue I am having is tracking down hardware cloth at a somewhat reasonable price. Our house backs up to a state park so I want to be sure the chicken will stay safe in the coop and run. I was going to lay down a base layer 2 foot past all sides of the coop, run the walls of the run, and the roof of the run.

My main question is should I use hardware cloth for everything or a combo of hardware cloth and chicken wire.

I live in Skippack Pennsylvania and I assume 1/2 squares would be just fine for my application. Any input is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!
I actually ordered from ebay last week as they were the most reasonably priced that coudl deliver relatively quickly. Good luck.

OK, about hardware cloth.

Its great stuff. If you like it, its easier to use and durable than some things.

However...there are some areas where it will make a difference on WHAT you use.

Chicken coop wire is way cheaper than hardware cloth. Please consider this as an alternative. Also the prices of both depend on how wide the strip is not just how long. But in my area the normal chicken wire was about half what the hardware cloth costs or more. (This may be different in other areas?)

So it depends on what you are going to use it for.

For flooring the normal chicken coop wire isn't a good choice because it will end up cutting their feet a lot. But for the walls, side, or even a top (hawks, etc.), normal chicken wire is great protection. IF you transition your parts or coop for rabbits later, rabbits would do better on hardware cloth also. Quail would do better with a thinner screening wire like hardware cloth also.

But if you are thinking of possibilities for other things, it might be easier to repurpose this hardware cloth you are buying now and use it for other things later, because the stuff I'm looking at that I have, makes it look like the hardware cloth is built a bit sturdier.

But for me, I want to go cheap. I don't want to be spending tons of money on something when I can spend 10 bucks or 5 bucks. Try to see what you can do with the normal chicken wire first.

But I'd get what you need now because a lot of these virus 'stay at home' orders, appear to be escalating also.

OK, about hardware cloth.

Its great stuff. If you like it, its easier to use and durable than some things.

However...there are some areas where it will make a difference on WHAT you use.

Chicken coop wire is way cheaper than hardware cloth. Please consider this as an alternative. Also the prices of both depend on how wide the strip is not just how long. But in my area the normal chicken wire was about half what the hardware cloth costs or more. (This may be different in other areas?)

So it depends on what you are going to use it for.

For flooring the normal chicken coop wire isn't a good choice because it will end up cutting their feet a lot. But for the walls, side, or even a top (hawks, etc.), normal chicken wire is great protection. IF you transition your parts or coop for rabbits later, rabbits would do better on hardware cloth also. Quail would do better with a thinner screening wire like hardware cloth also.

But if you are thinking of possibilities for other things, it might be easier to repurpose this hardware cloth you are buying now and use it for other things later, because the stuff I'm looking at that I have, makes it look like the hardware cloth is built a bit sturdier.

But for me, I want to go cheap. I don't want to be spending tons of money on something when I can spend 10 bucks or 5 bucks. Try to see what you can do with the normal chicken wire first.

But I'd get what you need now because a lot of these virus 'stay at home' orders, appear to be escalating also.
Chicken wire keeps chickens in but not much out. It is not predator proof.

My fear is predators for sure, I live right against a state park. We get fox, coyotes, possum, raccoon, hawks, vultures, you name it lol

Only place I'd suggest chicken wire on would be the top, assuming you're mostly using that to ward off birds of prey.

Welded wire is another option, either with small openings, or get larger opening wire and layer hardware cloth or chicken wire over it.

Use hardware cloth, it's worth every penny you have to spend on it! Check Amazon and walmart.com. I used 4 rolls, 4' x 50' on my coop and run.

If your not making a solid covered run, I would suggest it. It will keep your run drier and also keep the snow out. I know you didn't get much this past year, but there is always next year. I wasn't to far from Skippack, before moving to NC 15 years ago.

To me, spending an extra $100 in hardware cloth now (that will potentially provide decades of protection) is better than dealing with the emotional damage of just one incident due to me cheaping out on doing it right the first time. My coop run has hardware cloth walls, 12” wide perimeter skirting AND buried under the entire floor

Hi all,

Thanks!
I am close to you and I have also been researching Hardware Cloth. Tractor Supply Co has it for a good price, but I am not seeing it in 48"x100'. I would prefer 48" (vs a smaller width). TSC has a much better price than Home Depot. I have also looked into online suppliers, like Wire Cloth Man and Wildlife Control Supplies, but haven't made a decision yet! Let me know where you end up getting yours! Also, does anyone on this thread know if 1/2" is sufficient. I have also seen it sold at 1/4", but would love to same money if I can!

Back
Top Bottom