hardware cloth19 vs 23 gauge / 1/4 vs 1/2 inch

lissalischicks

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Los Angeles, California
I have searched almost all the posts I could read but haven't found my answer so I am starting a new post.

I would like to get an 19 gauge 1/4 inch hardware cloth but I cannot find them anywhere. Anyone know where to buy this from?

If it does not exist then is the 23 gauge acceptable?

I am trying to protect my chickens from possums, rats, mice and hawks. (mostly every predator)

Thanks for you help!

I used mostly 1/2 inch commercial grade hardware cloth - I don't know the gauge, but it is stiffer and stronger than what stores carry - was special order from an independent lumber-building supply company. The only 1/4 inch I could locate was thin and much smaller gauge.

But I do think the 19 gauge TSC, Home Depot and others carry should be fine.

Even carpenter bees cannot get thru the 1/2 inch stuff.

Well, I was curious so I googled 1/4 x 19 gauge hardware cloth and found several online sources including Home Depot and Lowes.

We've had no predator problems with the 1/2" 19 gauge hardware cloth. We have opossum, raccoon, hawk, fox, coyote as well as stray dogs and cats. Just make sure the hardware cloth can't be pried. We used fender washer & screws to attach then covered with strips of wood. Also, either bury it down 12-18" or use an apron around the perimeter to keep anything from digging in.

When we built our run, we found the best price for hardware cloth at Amazon.com.

Generally 1/2" is 19ga and 1/4" is 23ga....you could probably order 1/4" 19ga somewhere.

1/2" will keep most everything out, tho some mice can possibly squeeze thru it.

The key is attaching the HC so it is taut(tight and flat) and all edges are securely attached and/or covered.
Even the 19ga can be torn apart and/or welds broken if something strong gets a tooth into it.

I put the about 1 feet into the ground with the 1/4 inch as recommended by a friend. She said she had animals dig about 6 to 8 inches down and it kept them out so that's what I did. But so far the 1/4 inch has kept the animals out but it is not summer so we will see

I use the 1/2" 19g everywhere, and the lower four feet of my run also has 2"x4" woven wire over it, all attached with fence staples, and wood strips screwed on top. Very secure! It's all on a old building foundation to prevent digging. Mary

Will 1/4 inch hardware cloth work for my run as well as the apron to prevent digging?
Welcome to BYC!

You can use whatever size mesh you want for an apron....tho I'd use the largest wires you can, as the smaller the wires the faster it will rust out.

Back
Top Bottom