Hardware wire question, need answer SOON!

crtrlovr

Still chillin' with my peeps
Mar 13, 2008
East South Central (West KY)
Hi! I've finally come to the conclusion that my best option for a new, dry coop is to buy a building & have it brought to my place & set up. I have several ? that I need to figure out, such as:
1. If I get deck blocks for a foundation, how many will I need for a 10X12 building?
2. How can I put hardware wire on the bottom of this building (which will have skids on the bottom, if it's built like all the others I've seen from this manufacturer) before it's set onto the blocks? Would I be able to lay the HW wire on top of the blocks, stretching across from side to side with enough overlap to staple up the side & back of the building another 6-8" or so? (no problem w/ digging predators, but if I'm going to this much expense, I don't want to look back and say "I wish I had..."
3. If (and I probably won't, after the other expenses) have the $$$ to add the plastic panels speckledhen & others have suggested for inside the coop, what can I paint it with to protect the wood and seal it that won't harm the ladies & fellas?

Any input will be GREATLY appreciated; I want to get my sand delivered & spread ASAP so I can get the building before they decide to double its price...
wink.png

If you were going to buy a shed with a floor i would decide what i wanted to do with it. Like is it for breeding or just a run. What i did was make pens off the ground and mount them to the walls and make it easy for cleanup. I also have walk in pens big enough to make it easy to clean up.

OK, I'll take a stab.

1 - Your 10 foot spans will require three blocks and your 12 foot span will require 4. Makes a total of 10 blocks. The hardest part will be getting all 10 blocks set at level.

2 - If your shed is being built on 4x4 skids with probably 2x6 floor joist (or even 2x4) and then PT plywood, do you really think you need to line the bottom with hardware cloth? Seems like overkill to me.

3 - I'm not sure what plastic panels you're speaking of but I can say I painted the inside of my coop with an exterior "Bright White" solid stain and lined the fllor and the "poop wall" with very cheap vinyl tile I found on clearance at HD.

Hope this helps.

Hello,As John said I don't think you need to put any hardware cloth undernieth the building,but if you want the building o look better and only if you have the money try to poor a concrete slap to set the building on then you don't need any blocks and it will make the building looks like an office.(hey only if you can spend the money)
14x14x0.33 concrete slap will need 2.5 yards,will coast about $225 if you poor it your self. (0.33= 4")

good luck.
omran

Back
Top Bottom