Hardy Bantams

Nov 28, 2017
UK
What are some hardy bantam breeds? I definitely want Modern Game and Pekins, as far as I know both do well in English weather and are disease hardy. I also wanted Sebrights, but Poultry Keeper said they are highly prone to Mareks and most strains are difficult to hatch. I looked at Seramas and Japanese Bantams but Poultry Keeper said these are also prone to Mareks and carry a lethal gene that makes 25% of chicks unable to hatch. So then I checked out Silkies, Poultry Keeper said these are also very highly susceptible to disease and struggle in particularly hot/cold weather.

Is this information true? Should I get them anyway? I don’t want to end up with dead chickens every winter though. Is there any other bantams that are very small but hardy?

When I raised Silkies they were plenty hardy even in the rainy pacific northwest. Not all lines are created equal. To me they are just way too broody. In fact, one person I sold chicks to reported a couple years later that she had seen Marek's run through her flock and the Silkies she got from me were the last birds standing... not vaccinated, I breed for resistance as one gene was identified that gave resistance to Marek's. Don't know if my birds had that gene... I just know vaccinated birds are not welcome here to hide the virus among my flock. Rather have it kill itself out, but I know that isn't the right answer for everyone.

My bantam Ameraucana seem to do fine as well.

Make sure they have a dry, draft free but WELL ventilated (to prevent moisture build up even from breath settling on combs and freezing) place to roost at night and general shelter to get out of heavy storms and stay dry when needed... and shade in summer and many breeds will do fine. Straight combs may be more prone to frostbite. Using wide (4') wooden roost allows feet to be covered by feathers when roosting and doesn't get as cold as some other materials.

Getting them (bantams) past shipping is the hard part for me. Even if some breeds have "lower" hatch rates for whatever the reason... I still do what I want because this is my hobby and I'm not trying to earn a living. No amount of perfect hatching will make up for not having the breed you really wanted to try, IMO. ;)

Don't let poultry keeper fear monger you out of trying things. All birds are "prone" to Marek's if it's in your environment and you know it and can't accept the occasional loss (depending on virulence of strain) then maybe getting Marek's vaccinated chicks would be a good choice.

Best wishes! :wee

When I raised Silkies they were plenty hardy even in the rainy pacific northwest. Not all lines are created equal. To me they are just way too broody. In fact, one person I sold chicks to reported a couple years later that she had seen Marek's run through her flock and the Silkies she got from me were the last birds standing... not vaccinated, I breed for resistance as one gene was identified that gave resistance to Marek's. Don't know if my birds had that gene... I just know vaccinated birds are not welcome here to hide the virus among my flock. Rather have it kill itself out, but I know that isn't the right answer for everyone.

My bantam Ameraucana seem to do fine as well.

Make sure they have a dry, draft free but WELL ventilated (to prevent moisture build up even from breath settling on combs and freezing) place to roost at night and general shelter to get out of heavy storms and stay dry when needed... and shade in summer and many breeds will do fine. Straight combs may be more prone to frostbite. Using wide (4') wooden roost allows feet to be covered by feathers when roosting and doesn't get as cold as some other materials.

Getting them (bantams) past shipping is the hard part for me. Even if some breeds have "lower" hatch rates for whatever the reason... I still do what I want because this is my hobby and I'm not trying to earn a living. No amount of perfect hatching will make up for not having the breed you really wanted to try, IMO. ;)

Don't let poultry keeper fear monger you out of trying things. All birds are "prone" to Marek's if it's in your environment and you know it and can't accept the occasional loss (depending on virulence of strain) then maybe getting Marek's vaccinated chicks would be a good choice.

Best wishes! :wee

Thank you for the advice! It’s very much appreciated :)

I like Belgian d'Uccles, and bantam Brahmas, and most recently Easter Egger bantams. The Silkies I had years ago, along with my starting d'Uccle flock, did very badly. The Silkies needed more care than any of the others, and it showed.
Mary

I like Belgian d'Uccles, and bantam Brahmas, and most recently Easter Egger bantams. The Silkies I had years ago, along with my starting d'Uccle flock, did very badly. The Silkies needed more care than any of the others, and it showed.
Mary

Not the biggest fan of Belgian bantams but I’ll put them on my ‘watch’ list.

I was thinking I might get mixed opinions on Silkies. I’ll admit I did have a Silkie hen a while ago but she died. Other than her I’ve only kept Pekin bantams and my LS, all of which do well.

Silkies have done very well for us in the mountains of NC. Not terribly cold winters, but very hot summers.
Coops that are free of drafts, kept clean, and with a minimum of moisture are a must.
We have our first d'uccle this year, who will probably live in the garage for the winter (companion to a bird with spraddle leg).
Very interested to hear these opinions, great question!

Silkies have done very well for us in the mountains of NC. Not terribly cold winters, but very hot summers.
Coops that are free of drafts, kept clean, and with a minimum of moisture are a must.
We have our first d'uccle this year, who will probably live in the garage for the winter (companion to a bird with spraddle leg).
Very interested to hear these opinions, great question!

Thanks for the input. I’m guessing it’s maybe just about the line but with them all being bred here, you’d think they’d be fine.

Back
Top Bottom