Harness training a silkie?

I got this harness, and I have it loosely fit to the chicken's body so it's comfortable. My chicken was a bit uncomfy, but only because his neck feathers were tucked into it and he couldn't puff up his feathers like always.

It can be though! It has been for me.

Yeah he does so well it's actually crazy.

I give him lots of treats before, after, and even during the training. I don't want him to think I'm just trying to put him in a capture. I want him to be fully comfortable. I have to take the harness of myself though, because he's so fluffy. He can go around 20 minutes now without getting uncomfortable, which is just amazing!
Harnesses like those I wouldn’t personally recommend as it has no room for the crop if it is full. I personally use an Aviator bird harness. It is a bit pricy but it allows the crop to be full and it not interfere with it.

Harnesses like those I wouldn’t personally recommend as it has no room for the crop if it is full. I personally use an Aviator bird harness. It is a bit pricy but it allows the crop to be full and it not interfere with it.
The harness I have is very loose, allowing the crop to expand while still being comfy and keeping him in it.

Yeah, I've had a few comments about worries.
Harness training isn’t very easy. Some birds won’t be good with it while others are fine with a harness on. Make sure to give plenty of treats while getting the harness on and after. The first day make sure it is very loose so they don’t feel constricted. For the first few days you are trying it on, only keep the harness on for a few minutes before taking it off. Then keep lengthening the time the harness is on.
I've already essentially trained him. He's good.
Also, what kind of harness do you have? There are multiple harnesses marketed to chickens (on Amazon) that are not the best. A lot of Amazon harnesses have a large front fabric piece that when put on, can squish the crop in an uncomfortable way.
Yeah but mine goes under where the crop is for some reason? Anyway it's good.
Seems like a good brand. But mine works, and I'll stick with it.

Thank you @Rose the Legbar for sharing the info! It will help anyone who wants to try this. But my harness is safe for the rooster, not squishing the crop, and seems to be comfy. And yes, I checked.

Oh yes, very often! Once a day at least. Much more than my doggo, who just runs around instead of being walked.

As long as they want to! I mostly just follow him around, but sometimes I have to lead the way. He's still being trained though : P

No, not particularly. It's just as calm as it would be, though a bit wary bc I'm around. The only issue might be if there are other animals like dogs. Then you'd have to be a bit careful.

That's awesome! I can post some instructions on how I trained him if you'd like?
Yes please that would be awesome. Thanks

Oh yes, very often! Once a day at least. Much more than my doggo, who just runs around instead of being walked.

As long as they want to! I mostly just follow him around, but sometimes I have to lead the way. He's still being trained though : P

No, not particularly. It's just as calm as it would be, though a bit wary bc I'm around. The only issue might be if there are other animals like dogs. Then you'd have to be a bit careful.

That's awesome! I can post some instructions on how I trained him if you'd like?
Apologies thought I replied, yes very keen for instructions!

Apologies thought I replied, yes very keen for instructions!
Sorry! I was off for a while.
I started with putting him in the harness very loosely and bribing him with scratch and mealworms to walk around. After this I just did it more and more for longer and longer and only gave treats after we were done walking. He's really well trained now!

Sorry! I was off for a while.
I started with putting him in the harness very loosely and bribing him with scratch and mealworms to walk around. After this I just did it more and more for longer and longer and only gave treats after we were done walking. He's really well trained now!
Awesome! sounds easy enough haha. Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom