Harness training a silkie?

Aug 25, 2023
Priceville, AL
My Coop
My Coop
I recently got a chicken harness! I fully suggest anyone with nice chickens gets one, as they are SUPER fun. I took some videos, but I can't post them. It won't let me 😭
Anyway, I caught him (my white satin non-bearded silkie rooster crazy i know) crowing multiple times, and he can even walk up stairs, and will gladly do so! He likes running around in the grass, which he can't do in his coop because the grass won't grow (guess who's fault that is 🙄). Anyway, I definitely recommend getting one if you have a tame chicken.

If I can get it to work, I'll upload videos.

I recently got a chicken harness! I fully suggest anyone with nice chickens gets one, as they are SUPER fun. I took some videos, but I can't post them. It won't let me 😭
Anyway, I caught him (my white satin non-bearded silkie rooster crazy i know) crowing multiple times, and he can even walk up stairs, and will gladly do so! He likes running around in the grass, which he can't do in his coop because the grass won't grow (guess who's fault that is 🙄). Anyway, I definitely recommend getting one if you have a tame chicken.

You have to create a YouTube account & post them there. Then copy & paste the link for each video.

Harness training isn’t very easy. Some birds won’t be good with it while others are fine with a harness on. Make sure to give plenty of treats while getting the harness on and after. The first day make sure it is very loose so they don’t feel constricted. For the first few days you are trying it on, only keep the harness on for a few minutes before taking it off. Then keep lengthening the time the harness is on. If your chicken struggles to get out of it, take it off as soon as you can.

Also, what kind of harness do you have? There are multiple harnesses marketed to chickens (on Amazon) that are not the best. A lot of Amazon harnesses have a large front fabric piece that when put on, can squish the crop in an uncomfortable way.

This is so interesting! I suspect my chickens will be quite nice as they are a docile breed to begin with and seem very friendly through chick rearing. I'm curious, do you actually take it out for walks, like a doggo? how long can they walk for? are their any issues to watch out for on walks e.g. do they get scared more easily etc? I'm so curious!

I'm curious, do you actually take it out for walks, like a doggo?
Oh yes, very often! Once a day at least. Much more than my doggo, who just runs around instead of being walked.
how long can they walk for?
As long as they want to! I mostly just follow him around, but sometimes I have to lead the way. He's still being trained though : P
are their any issues to watch out for on walks e.g. do they get scared more easily etc?
No, not particularly. It's just as calm as it would be, though a bit wary bc I'm around. The only issue might be if there are other animals like dogs. Then you'd have to be a bit careful.
I'm so curious!
That's awesome! I can post some instructions on how I trained him if you'd like?

Also, what kind of harness do you have? There are multiple harnesses marketed to chickens (on Amazon) that are not the best. A lot of Amazon harnesses have a large front fabric piece that when put on, can squish the crop in an uncomfortable way.
I got this harness, and I have it loosely fit to the chicken's body so it's comfortable. My chicken was a bit uncomfy, but only because his neck feathers were tucked into it and he couldn't puff up his feathers like always.
Harness training isn’t very easy.
It can be though! It has been for me.
Some birds won’t be good with it while others are fine with a harness on.
Yeah he does so well it's actually crazy.
Make sure to give plenty of treats while getting the harness on and after. For the first few days you are trying it on, only keep the harness on for a few minutes before taking it off. Then keep lengthening the time the harness is on. If your chicken struggles to get out of it, take it off as soon as you can.
I give him lots of treats before, after, and even during the training. I don't want him to think I'm just trying to put him in a capture. I want him to be fully comfortable. I have to take the harness of myself though, because he's so fluffy. He can go around 20 minutes now without getting uncomfortable, which is just amazing!

Back
Top Bottom