Harnesses For Dogs?

I think a collar is a better choice than a harness, even if your dog jumps against it. If it hurts her, she will probably stop jumping. A 1.5-2inch collar with a metal buckle probably would be best. I have to tie my dogs out too, and my lab's got a collar around that measurement. I think it's better when the collar is wider, so it doesn't dig into the dog's neck too much.

I hope this helps!

F.V.

I had the same issues, either they'd snap the collar or slip out of the harness. I solved the problem using a prong collar. They can't choke themselves, and it's self correcting. My dogs never lung out on the prongs which means they don't hurt themselves.

I know some people don't like prong collars, but they are a very effective tool, especially for a hard dog. And most boarder collies can be pretty hard. I would work with the dog on the collar and tie out for a few days before leaving the dog unattended for short periods. I only put the prong on my dogs when I let them out to go in the mornings, it's dark and I can't afford for them to take off or get skunked before work! UGH!

If all else false, I'd choose a prong over allowing my dog to hurt itself eating from the burn pile. The next step of course is a fence when you can install one.

if the problem is what the dog eats, on the burn pile, how about a muzzle, that way it could still run but not kill its self on the rubbish, (I dont like muzzles myself)

Quote:
To the OP. Can you purchase one of the chain link dog kennels sold by TSC, for example? Chaining a dog isn't really the best idea. Please do not ever, ever chain a dog with a "choke" or a prong collar on. A dog kennel is far more humane. You may need to cover it and shore up the bottom against digging for a determined dog. If you must chain, use a wide buckle collar.

We have been looking for fencing, because Im not a fan of tieing them out either.

Since we don't have the money to do the whole yard, We thought about fencing

in behind our garage, because it's cement back there so they can't dig. However,

Since times are really rough and moneys tight, they're going to have to be tied out

for a while. That is, unless we find a super cheap kennel here, which is hard to find where

im at - even on craigslist. Eating from the burn pile is one huge thing that scares me, but

the big highway near our house is the other. Theres also a dogs across the woods

thats pretty mean to my border collie - which is the one actually EATING from the burn pile.

the others just drag the stuff up. theres a whole list of crap I could name off that scares me.

I just don't want them to get hurt.
roll.png

Last edited:
Maybe you could invest in a sturdy tie-out stake ($15-$25) and a 10-15foot medium weight chain or cable ($10-$25). You might also consider a pulley line hooked up between two trees. I wouldn't leave a dog out too long--at most an hour at a time. Also, I would place the tie-out location in a quiet spot, preferably out of the action (neighbors, cars, neighborhood pets, etc.)
We originally bought a 10x10 kennel ($200) for our dogs to spend time in since we don't have a fenced yard, but it didn't work. One of our dogs dug out, and the other took the chain link and pulled it IN, weakening the entire kennel. There are better quality kennels out there (not made from basic chainlink) but they will be $400-$800.
Extremely active dogs will either need a heavy-duty kennel or an indestructible tie out system.
Remember, your average kennel is 100sqft. a 10 ft chain would give a dog 3x as much space.

I put my dog tied out 3-4 times a day, and leave her out at most 30minutes--she's usually done by then. But you will have to exercise your dog as well.

F.V.

Last edited:
Quote:
We have a somewhat sturdy stake, ( the best we could find )
tongue.png
And a 20 ft. tie out

cable, my border collie runs and rips on it. I think my dogs would destroy a kennel,

as my lab jumps them, and my border collie digs like crazy...then my hound would

follow. But I don't know. I thought about the pulley line hooked to two trees, but

does that have any good or bad things? like.. anything different about it than just

tieing them out? I dont know, I figured my border collie would be ok with an hour

of walking daily, but after the 30 minute morning walk shes just warmed up. and 30

minutes is all I have in the morning, or Id do more exersizes with her. So tieng her

out for a little while helps alot. ^.^

Quote:
To the OP. Can you purchase one of the chain link dog kennels sold by TSC, for example? Chaining a dog isn't really the best idea. Please do not ever, ever chain a dog with a "choke" or a prong collar on. A dog kennel is far more humane. You may need to cover it and shore up the bottom against digging for a determined dog. If you must chain, use a wide buckle collar.

Even with a wide collar, any dog that lunges hard on the tie out can cause injury to their necks. Correcting the lunging behavior will stop risk of injury.

I agree that chaining out isn't the best idea for sure. I'd never use a choke either. A Prong is not a choke collar. It pinches the skin, but cannot choke. I don't like doing it with my dogs, they actually have nice outside runs, but they won't "go" in them and have to be let out in the yard to go. I recently almost lost one of my dogs because he took off after deer. So for the dogs safety, I have no choice but to tie mine out for a minute so they can do their business and come back in. When I can be with them in the yard I don't chain them.

Back
Top Bottom