harnessing peafowl

MandMNESTBOX

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2019
Has any one tried to harness their peafowl i have a new harness and plan on attempting it they let me hold them but not happy about it any ideas would be great

A harness is usually used for more tame peafowl who were hand raised. Be careful because the males may get aggressive once they realize that you have leashed them and are staying close. Also think through the process of putting it on and taking it off later. It may take two people. These are reasons why I have not used a harness for my boys yet, but I have decided to buy one in the future so my boys can get more exercise than they do in the run. Good luck!

IMG_20200410_123409_01.jpg

IMG_20200410_123409_01.jpg

A harness is usually used for more tame peafowl who were hand raised. Be careful because the males may get aggressive once they realize that you have leashed them and are staying close. Also think through the process of putting it on and taking it off later. It may take two people. These are reasons why I have not used a harness for my boys yet, but I have decided to buy one in the future so my boys can get more exercise than they do in the run. Good luck!
mine must be pretty tame he didn't like it but my hen tolerated it after I took the harness off she must have been shell shocked as she just sat on my lap looking at my phone as Ii filmed her. she walked me more than i walked her but it was the first time hoping it will get better

Has any one tried to harness their peafowl i have a new harness and plan on attempting it they let me hold them but not happy about it any ideas would be great
I use a tether that is threaded through q leather arm brace. I have one small arm brace that only gives a couple feet while my other give about 5 ft. You can train peafowl to be on a tether. I've done it with my White, Spalding, and Indian Blue peafowl. I used it to show in FFA back in highschool. It ties around one of their legs. I tie a slip knot, they way I can just make the hole bigger and then let them step out of the tether and go on with their day.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1586796205971.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586796205971.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1586796120314.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586796120314.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1586796108387.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586796108387.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 10
  • FB_IMG_1586795957376.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586795957376.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 10
I use a tether that is threaded through q leather arm brace. I have one small arm brace that only gives a couple feet while my other give about 5 ft. You can train peafowl to be on a tether. I've done it with my White, Spalding, and Indian Blue peafowl. I used it to show in FFA back in highschool. It ties around one of their legs. I tie a slip knot, they way I can just make the hole bigger and then let them step out of the tether and go on with their day.
I can get them to step up on my arm, I have to look up leather arm braces as they slip off my sheatshirt sleeve to easy and fly back to the roost , i had a harness on by IB male and he didn't like it at all my female tolorated it but she walked me more than I walked her, I know it will take time after i took the harness off her she just sat on my lap waiting for the next thing to happen what ever that was going to be

I can get them to step up on my arm, I have to look up leather arm braces as they slip off my sheatshirt sleeve to easy and fly back to the roost , i had a harness on by IB male and he didn't like it at all my female tolorated it but she walked me more than I walked her, I know it will take time after i took the harness off her she just sat on my lap waiting for the next thing to happen what ever that was going to be
I have my arm brace under my sleeves if I can. It just takes desensitizing.

Back
Top Bottom