Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

Pics
I found an intact sparrow egg this morning and put it in my nurture right. However when it turns the sparrow egg makes 3 full rotations which is not ideal. Any way to decrease turning angle? This is my test run for the new incubator.

Not that I'm aware of but I hatched quail eggs successfully. As long as there is movement it should be ok. You could also hand turn if you're concerned.

Well, I've decided on a process. I'm putting them ALL (including the busted yolkers) in an egg flat. I've melted candle wax into the cracks in the Ameraucana eggs, since they weren't leaking. The eggs with the '?' marks are the ones that candle off colored and dark. I'll watch them closely the first 10 days...sniffing and inspecting! I'm not going to do any egg turning (I may turn the tray 1/4 turn once a day) whatsoever for the first four days. After that, I'll only tilt them side to side 3x a day at a very steep angle, with 1/4 turn each flip. I figure I've got a better chance of chicks developing and not sticking to the sides, than I do of them developing and not internally pipping into oxygen. Either way this batch is a mess and any game plan is better than setting them horizontally and firing the starting gun.

Cross your fingers for me!

View attachment 2237943
Layout I chose. I will likely move them around in the tray after day 4 also, inside ring out, outside ring in.

View attachment 2237940
In the incubator. That's 22 eggs lol.

View attachment 2237941
Not a ton of room between the top of the egg and the fan...but I'm hoping I'll still get enough airflow with the draw from the top.

View attachment 2237942
These are the AC/CX mix eggs. SO MUCH MORE ROOM in the older style incubator. I'm still considering trading my newer version for the older.

View attachment 2237949
Side by side look. I might swap the tops when I candle the AC/CX hatch on day 7. Funny thing is, the tops of the eggs aren't too much different in elevation.

More updates to come lol.
:fl:fl:fl
Ok. I may hand turn. Just trying not to put too much worry and effort bc chances are it won't hatch, but who knows ;)
Is it in with other eggs? Several pages back (about 6/23 or 6/24) I posted about using little pieces of cardboard to make a cradle that rode on the turner tray for a couple of the eggs I set. I wanted them to be upright but the rest of the eggs to turn normally. Not sure if something like that could keep your little egg from spinning so much. You'd have to hand turn it though.

Just stumbled on this. Interesting read:

"Allow shipped hatching eggs to sit upright position in incubator without turning for the first 7 days; this allows air cells to stabilize and gives the germ time to organize and get a healthy start without constantly being moved disturbing delicate vessels and cell formation. Shipped eggs most likely suffered some damage, constantly disturbing this formation will give lower hatches. Be patient...do not touch the eggs in the incubator for the first 7 days, then carefully candle eggs to check for development. Gently lift them up in the upright position, & holding them upright, set the small end on your candler. After you candle all the eggs, on day 7, try not to be tempted to touch them again till around day 14 (I know, IT'S HARD, but remember your babies need every chance they can get). If you absolutely can't help yourself, limit yourself to looking at 1 or 2 eggs. You will be absolutely amazed at how well it works. That sloppy air cell will be rock solid by day 12.
"

https://www.facebook.com/notes/alab...cessfully-hatch-shipped-eggs/133243453534988/

Just stumbled on this. Interesting read:

"Allow shipped hatching eggs to sit upright position in incubator without turning for the first 7 days; this allows air cells to stabilize and gives the germ time to organize and get a healthy start without constantly being moved disturbing delicate vessels and cell formation. Shipped eggs most likely suffered some damage, constantly disturbing this formation will give lower hatches. Be patient...do not touch the eggs in the incubator for the first 7 days, then carefully candle eggs to check for development. Gently lift them up in the upright position, & holding them upright, set the small end on your candler. After you candle all the eggs, on day 7, try not to be tempted to touch them again till around day 14 (I know, IT'S HARD, but remember your babies need every chance they can get). If you absolutely can't help yourself, limit yourself to looking at 1 or 2 eggs. You will be absolutely amazed at how well it works. That sloppy air cell will be rock solid by day 12.
"

https://www.facebook.com/notes/alab...cessfully-hatch-shipped-eggs/133243453534988/
Interesting.

I have to wonder how many eggs actually will make it no matter which way the person does things, but then says the success is from doing method X over method Y or Z. And that's why if you check 10 places you will get 12 different answers.
Shipped eggs are enigma, that's for sure.

2 Bieles hatched so far. One had pipped last night, day 19, and it and another early morning pipper popped out this afternoon like popcorn, just past the day 20 mark. The others have externally pipped except one, but it has internally pipped and is responding to gentle fingernail taps by tapping back.

edit: typos

Last edited:
Interesting.

I have to wonder how many eggs actually will make it no matter which way the person does things, but then says the success is from doing method X over method Y or Z. And that's why if you check 10 places you will get 12 different answers.

I agree, a lot of times you just have to trial and error yourself to find what actually works. I tend to gravitate towards actual poultry studies since they're typically done on a larger scale. For me, turning has been essential for higher hatch rates with my shipped eggs though. Once they're in the incubator, they're moving. The one batch of shipped eggs that I didn't turn at all because they looked bad, I had zero develop or hatch. The turkey egg that was actually local that I didn't turn at all developed but couldn't hatch because it almost looked like not turning created what looked like a sticky chick scenario. :idunno This is why I always say, when you find what works for you, keep doing it!

Interesting.

I liked the fact that they're being used for conservation, and it being important to get good hatch rates.

Back
Top Bottom