Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

Pics
I liked the fact that they're being used for conservation, and it being important to get good hatch rates.
*blush*
I didn't actually look at the page, but instead was remembering how overwhelmed I felt after getting my Biele eggs and not knowing the best way to do anything with shipped eggs because everything I read here and other places was contradictory.

I were confoosed! 😵

I've read this entire thread and I have learned so much, and I don't even own an incubator!

That said, I DO NOT want to get into incubating eggs. I've been raising chickens for 12 years now.

That also said, I will be breeding my Buckeyes and EEs next spring, neither of which is known for broodiness. I have one OEGB pullet who has yet to begin laying. When she's an adult, and presumably goes broody, the most she will be able to cover is 3 to 4 large eggs (I'm guessing).

So, here I am.

I see that I can order the incubator in question and have it delivered to my local TSC, not to mention I also have a 10% Friends & Neighbors discount that needs to be used.

Seriously, I don't want to get into this...I have enough irons in the fire. But it looks like I have no choice if I want to breed my birds. Ugh! :idunno

How bad is the smell after hatching begins? Can you compare it to something I might be familiar with? If it's really nasty I don't think I can tolerate it.

I wish I knew someone near me who could do the incubating for me so I could just go over and pick up my chicks when they were ready. But I live out in the middle of nowhere and I'm not particularly social! ;)

If you've read this entire angst-filled reply, I thank you.

I've read this entire thread and I have learned so much, and I don't even own an incubator!

That said, I DO NOT want to get into incubating eggs. I've been raising chickens for 12 years now.

That also said, I will be breeding my Buckeyes and EEs next spring, neither of which is known for broodiness. I have one OEGB pullet who has yet to begin laying. When she's an adult, and presumably goes broody, the most she will be able to cover is 3 to 4 large eggs (I'm guessing).

So, here I am.

I see that I can order the incubator in question and have it delivered to my local TSC, not to mention I also have a 10% Friends & Neighbors discount that needs to be used.

Seriously, I don't want to get into this...I have enough irons in the fire. But it looks like I have no choice if I want to breed my birds. Ugh! :idunno

How bad is the smell after hatching begins? Can you compare it to something I might be familiar with? If it's really nasty I don't think I can tolerate it.

I wish I knew someone near me who could do the incubating for me so I could just go over and pick up my chicks when they were ready. But I live out in the middle of nowhere and I'm not particularly social! ;)

Wooow, I'm impressed you made it through the entire thread!!! I'm actually curious how much my tactics and opinions have changed since I started, lol, I may need to scroll through. This is basically a full documentary of my hatching experience.

I actually offer the service of hatching for others. I'm sure there's someone near you as well if you check a local Facebook group or try your state thread here on BYC.

With that said, I'm sure you'll love experiencing it first hand!!! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

As far as the smell is concerned, you don't smell much of anything when they first start hatching and if you sanitize the incubator as soon as the hatch is complete it doesn't actually ever get that bad, it just looks gross. I clean mine fairly quickly so I don't even really have a comparison of the smell level...I've definitely smelled people's BO that was way worse. It's not like you want to sniff it, but it's also not going to assault you while you're cleaning, does that make sense? Lol

Wooow, I'm impressed you made it through the entire thread!!! I'm actually curious how much my tactics and opinions have changed since I started, lol, I may need to scroll through. This is basically a full documentary of my hatching experience.

I actually offer the service of hatching for others. I'm sure there's someone near you as well if you check a local Facebook group or try your state thread here on BYC.

With that said, I'm sure you'll love experiencing it first hand!!! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

As far as the smell is concerned, you don't smell much of anything when they first start hatching and if you sanitize the incubator as soon as the hatch is complete it doesn't actually ever get that bad, it just looks gross. I clean mine fairly quickly so I don't even really have a comparison of the smell level...I've definitely smelled people's BO that was way worse. It's not like you want to sniff it, but it's also not going to assault you while you're cleaning, does that make sense? Lol
Thank you for your response, I will probably end up getting one and giving it a try. The price is right with my 10% discount so how can I say no?

So, here I am.

I was in the same place. Like 14 years with chickens and never wanted or needed an incubator before thank you very much. Buuut, changing times call for creative measures.

OMG! I never realized how much I was missing out on an with the ability to order hatching eggs. ANY. Kind. Of. Eggs. I. Want. *swoon*

I ordered mine via TSC also using my coupon and knew in advance if mine so much as hiccuped wrong the manager at my store will make things right. Plus from what I read Harris is also (usually) good for customer service.
(...and I've been using Manna Pro products for ages!)

The smell- So far I have not noticed a smell. I don't let the water get grungy during incubation and the most I ever noticed is a warm egg smell on occasion when lifting the lid. It's not unpleasant, more like cooked eggs if anything. I know the styrofoam ones don't smell good, but these being hard plastic I would think proper care and cleaning is all that's needed. There is sometimes a little grossness (if you are squeamish) during normal hatching, but it doesn't smell at all. Not at all like assisting a farm animal birth, trust me.

There is however fuzz. Lot's of fuzz! When the chicks hatch there is left over dried egg fluids on their fuzz that sheds off as the chick dries and fluffs up. I did not realize how much there would be and it irritates my sinuses, much like regular dust, but if I'm careful not to rub or fluff up a chick under my face it's not too bad.

Yay! Come on babies!
I had typed a response yesterday but I guess in my hazy fog forgot to hit post.

All 7 Bieles did hatch, however the last one had not absorbed the yolk at all. None of it. I did the chick in egg shell bottom into a deep cup thing, but it was too vigorous and fought too much to get out making a mess of things.
So, I ended up with 6- 4 girls and 2 boys.

Considering of the 11 shipped eggs and the shape they arrived in, that 2 weren't even fertile to begin with... and 2 were early quitters, 7 hatches seems pretty good. I am pleased.

Back
Top Bottom