Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

Pics
No, I used the auto turner. I had the humidity at 58% for about 16 or 17 days, until I read more here and adjusted down to around 45% for the rest. Seems to have worked out, since all 7 of the Guinea eggs have pipped.

When candling, I take the lid off, put the eggs into a carton (or cartons, rather) fat end up, and close the lid. Figure it's more efficient to have less lifts of the lid during the process - less readjustment for the machine, and faster candling of the eggs minimizes time out of the incubator.

I only do one at a time when I have a couple eggs to candle. If I'm candling more than 3 or 4 I do pretty much as you described.

Got keets : D
20200529_083632.jpg
Two hatched in the night with a third making big progress, and at least one of the duck eggs pipped. Hard to tell where everyone else's progress is with them stumbling around in there, but they have to dry off yet.

When candling, I take the lid off, put the eggs into a carton (or cartons, rather) fat end up, and close the lid. Figure it's more efficient to have less lifts of the lid during the process - less readjustment for the machine, and faster candling of the eggs minimizes time out of the incubator.
Thank you, that is helpful!

If you can...lock your opposing elbow (to the side you need to open) on top of the incubator and push down. This holds the lid in its channel. Then you can grab the lid on the opposite side with that hand, and lift. You can get as much as a 45° angle pretty securely. It's what I did to candle the last eggs before I shut my incubator down to clean it tonight.
Awww Ace is cute! Ok, they are all cute!

So how good are you at sexing them that young? I need to learn how.
Really hoping for better hatch rates in the future for your Ayams.

And thank you, the arm thing makes sense.

Thank you, that is helpful!

Awww Ace is cute! Ok, they are all cute!

So how good are you at sexing them that young? I need to learn how.
Really hoping for better hatch rates in the future for your Ayams.

And thank you, the arm thing makes sense.

I don't know that I'd say I'm good at all lol. My first 20 chicks were all pullets (I didn't know, so I spent DAYS trying to sex them...unsuccessfully lol). These guys/girls...within the first 3-5 days two of them had wings to their butts, and pin feathers starting in the same amount of time. The others were almost featherless on their wings (just L shaped wing tips), and had fuzzbutts until 10 days. I've read that's no guarantee, but the differences were obvious. The two heavily feathered ones have started feathering in above their wings, and on their body now, and it's been less than 2wks. The others are still mostly fuzz. I don't think it's a guarantee, but its a definite difference in the birds.

Here's an illustration I found that sort of explains what I'm seeing. It's pretty clear cut to what my little Ameraucana's are looking like. You can see it in the video if you look:

98599758_10220345471980212_536195262104731648_n.jpg
98599758_10220345471980212_536195262104731648_n.jpg

To answer my question from several months back. I bought the newest version of the Nurture Right and there is a difference in headroom between the version 3 model and the newest one. the Newest version is actually 3/4 of an inch LESS in height across the whole top, instead of just over the fan square in the previous versions.

There are several other differences that I will put an article together with pictures. I've taken the pictures but need to run both on the Kilo-watt meter to see energy usage to compare the two as the newest version has a larger heat coil.

Oh please share the link here when you make your article!

I don't know that I'd say I'm good at all lol. My first 20 chicks were all pullets (I didn't know, so I spent DAYS trying to sex them...unsuccessfully lol). These guys/girls...within the first 3-5 days two of them had wings to their butts, and pin feathers starting in the same amount of time. The others were almost featherless on their wings (just L shaped wing tips), and had fuzzbutts until 10 days. I've read that's no guarantee, but the differences were obvious. The two heavily feathered ones have started feathering in above their wings, and on their body now, and it's been less than 2wks. The others are still mostly fuzz. I don't think it's a guarantee, but its a definite difference in the birds.

Here's an illustration I found that sort of explains what I'm seeing. It's pretty clear cut to what my little Ameraucana's are looking like. You can see it in the video if you look:

View attachment 2166101View attachment 2166101
Oh that is helpful and I have noticed the differences in the under 4 week crowd.

Usually by 5 weeks I can start to tell by attitude, comb, and sometimes the carriage of the tail.

View attachment 2166101View attachment 2166101

The breeds your hatching will determine whether this will work or not but I have found the same. If I have a chick that just isn't growing feathers it's almost always a boy. lol

The breeds your hatching will determine whether this will work or not but I have found the same. If I have a chick that just isn't growing feathers it's almost always a boy. lol
I had that happen with the last group of chicks. I had one super bold, almost attitude chick, and I had a straggler that was a week or more behind everyone else for everything, especially feathers. Both ended up being pullets. (thankfully)

No, I used the auto turner. I had the humidity at 58% for about 16 or 17 days, until I read more here and adjusted down to around 45% for the rest. Seems to have worked out, since all 7 of the Guinea eggs have pipped.

Awesome thanks! I think I'll do that next time.

Back
Top Bottom