Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

After our conversation CluckNDoodle , I put distilled water in tray A as I placed the eggs yesterday.
The humidity is reading 60% so I guess my ambient Florida humidity really is interfering. Or it could be the plastic tote I have the incubator sitting in. Our AC is too cold for the incubator to keep up with so I put it in a clear tub I could see through with an ajar lid for airflow.
I have the EggOMeter in there (taking up 3 slots) and it's reading is all over the place. Between 98.1 -99.5. I think I trust the incubator more than the EggOmeter.
So I'm looking on Amzn for another thermometer. Suggestions? I see a lot of people use the Govee, but the ones I see on Amzn look too large to fit. Is there a particular model someone might point me to please?

After our conversation CluckNDoodle , I put distilled water in tray A as I placed the eggs yesterday.
The humidity is reading 60% so I guess my ambient Florida humidity really is interfering. Or it could be the plastic tote I have the incubator sitting in. Our AC is too cold for the incubator to keep up with so I put it in a clear tub I could see through with an ajar lid for airflow.
I have the EggOMeter in there (taking up 3 slots) and it's reading is all over the place. Between 98.1 -99.5. I think I trust the incubator more than the EggOmeter.
So I'm looking on Amzn for another thermometer. Suggestions? I see a lot of people use the Govee, but the ones I see on Amzn look too large to fit. Is there a particular model someone might point me to please?

How cold is it in your house that the incubator can't keep up? lol, My house is usually around 67ish in the winter and it manages.
I'm confident that the tote would make a difference with the humidity and I admit I might have concerns about air quality doing that as well but it's not something I've ever tried myself.

We've been discussing temps a lot lately, you will see some variation around the incubator, hot and cold spots are normal and because the turner rotates all the way around the incubator the eggs will never sit in a hot or cold spot for too long so it evens out. In other incubators you would need to rotate manually or avoid those spots, but not in the NR360.

Regardless of what type of secondary thermometer you use, you will want to calibrate it to make sure it's accurate.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

How cold is it in your house that the incubator can't keep up? lol, My house is usually around 67ish in the winter and it manages.
I'm confident that the tote would make a difference with the humidity and I admit I might have concerns about air quality doing that as well but it's not something I've ever tried myself.

We've been discussing temps a lot lately, you will see some variation around the incubator, hot and cold spots are normal and because the turner rotates all the way around the incubator the eggs will never sit in a hot or cold spot for too long so it evens out. In other incubators you would need to rotate manually or avoid those spots, but not in the NR360.

Regardless of what type of secondary thermometer you use, you will want to calibrate it to make sure it's accurate.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

We're set at 68 but the fan is very strong so it was definitely in "draft" territory. I tried suggesting a higher temp on the AC but I was facing a riot. :p
Looks like I'd do better incubating in winter when we have the heat on at 72!

Air quality was a concern of mine as well. I will try to figure out a better solution as the eggs develop and use more air.

I tried yesterday to calibrate the EggOMeter with icewater. Sans the ice, I tried using frozen cold packs in the water but the EggOMeter wouldn't go down below 53. Ugh.

Look!! Look!!! So excited. Hopefully it isn't speedy. I leave for work in a half hour and not home for about 9 hrs!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220509_062608136.jpg
    IMG_20220509_062608136.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 2
I had to bump my incubator up to 101 to get an Ave of 99.5. I have a govee. Will find which one I have. They are tiny. You do need to calibrate it though. And my ranges have been pretty big. I can post a graph of it for you for my incubation if u want to see.

Went back on my govee chart. Set at 100.5 it went from 98.1-99.5. Bumped it to 101 and ranged from 99.3-100.6. But average shows 99.8 or so.

Last edited:

For a while, I had to set the lid ever so slightly off center-- one edge off the locking pin in the back. That, with the vent fully open, gave just enough more ventilation that I could get the humidity under 50%. You may have to do something similar.

Is 60% humidity good for a Coturnix lockdown?

I usually aim for 65% but depending on how many eggs you have hatching sometimes the humidity will bump up as they're hatching anyway. You won't notice as much of a spike with quail as with chickens purely because of their smaller size and less fluff to dry.

If you start with 60% and notice the membranes looking a little dry once they're pipping it's easy to increase the humidity at that point as well. :)

For a while, I had to set the lid ever so slightly off center-- one edge off the locking pin in the back. That, with the vent fully open, gave just enough more ventilation that I could get the humidity under 50%. You may have to do something similar.

This didn't cause the temperature to drop for you?

Back
Top Bottom