A mirror chamber with tiny holes could work? I find I get the best view from tiny lights that don't cover much of the eggshell (my cellphone is still my best light, when angled just so). The tiny holes could also be on something flexible but opaque, like really dark fabric. That would allow it to press into and conform to the egg, accounting for differences in size, etc, and be very gentle. So I guess a mirrored half cylinder with a woven fabric bottom (I think knit would be too stretchy, it barely needs to stretch), and little rubber grommets that make contact with the shell?

Day 5 for me.
IMG_20190827_203010.jpg

I'll have to take a picture of me candling eggs. I've never done it because I use both hands. I'm just putting together a proof of concept on the fabric-and-grommet idea, I'll maybe take a pic of that.

I just started using that for this hatch! I wish it had a journal section, though. I like to describe my observations each day and have them be time-stamped. I also wish it had a time of day for starting the hatch. I do really like it. I used an app called hatchkeeper (ETA: I mean Hatch-a-Batch, sorry) before, too, but it doesn't give stats, just reminders.

Last edited:
I'll have to take a picture of me candling eggs. I've never done it because I use both hands. I'm just putting together a proof of concept on the fabric-and-grommet idea, I'll maybe take a pic of that.

I just started using that for this hatch! I wish it had a journal section, though. I like to describe my observations each day and have them be time-stamped. I also wish it had a time of day for starting the hatch. I do really like it. I used an app called hatchkeeper before, too, but it doesn't give stats, just reminders.
This extra stuff is coming soon...I can not wait for it.
:yesss:

I just started using that for this hatch! I wish it had a journal section, though. I like to describe my observations each day and have them be time-stamped. I also wish it had a time of day for starting the hatch. I do really like it. I used an app called hatchkeeper before, too, but it doesn't give stats, just reminders.
I think you should mention the time stamp stuff in that thread above.
I am sure @mill-j would love to hear that you'd like this.

im sorry to date i havent had much time for responding here but ive been thoroughly enjoying watching this thread.

Im a constant hatcher :oops: i had my incubators off for all of just three wks since Jan 25th :gig

I have three really but ones just a backup thing. i constantly use the bigger one as the main and the second half size one as a hatcher. I set small clutches every wk and starting Monday ill be hatching every wk (again) :oops: i have 13 more hatches planned to work my lines a bit.

I currently have set coturnix quail (mix colors) Black Sex Link chickens(Svart Hona crossed Cuckoo Marans) and Pekin duck eggs :oops:

i know its insane :oops: i will try to participate here but i have three toddlers so i run hard all day everyday. I will read everything though.

Back
Top Bottom