Harvesting question

red horse ranch

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Buffalo Wyoming
I just harvested a 14 lb Cornish X hen this morning. Can she be cooked today or should I wait 2 days. I want to cook until done and can chicken and broth for winter eating. :idunno

I just harvested a 14 lb Cornish X hen this morning. Can she be cooked today or should I wait 2 days. I want to cook until done and can chicken and broth for winter eating. :idunno
You can pressure can her meat now (raw), no resting or pre-cooking required. Then you can pressure cook her carcass, make stock, and then pressure can the stock.
If you are not going to pressure can her you should let her rest a few days.

Let it rest a few days in the fridge. Would be amazing stuffed and roasted in the oven. Any pictures of the 14 pound monster?

I didn't take any pictures of her. :( I hope I never end up with another meat bird like her. It's just too hard to kill them. I have no problem harvesting roosters but a friendly young hen is a whole different experience for me.
I will never buy chicks from TSC again. I'll just raise my own replacements....:old

I don't cook the chicken before I can the meat. I cut off what meat I can get off, and then the carcass is slow cooked for stock.
I also had a couple of 14+ lb meat birds that were unplanned - life got in the way of butchering. The flavor of their meat is outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom