Has anyone bred Pekin and welsh harlequin ducks together??

When it gets really hot I freeze some basins with water, fruit and veggies frozen in them and put them in the run for them to pick at. I brought a ton of surgery plastic basins up here with me when I retired. If you know anyone who works in that hospital or dr office they might have access to them. Other than the pool that's all I can think of right now. Changing the pool water out will help refresh it too but that can be time consuming.
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I saw that on pinterest also and was really excited to try that. Wasnt sure if their was anything else too. I think I'll def.install 2 box fans into the upper side wall(?) (Or somewhere appropriate) to keep the air moving. Does it get that hot by you also?

I did see the blue and green on the wings of Stella and Celeste. It's amazing how the dark ones seem to have vibrant colors on a small part of their feathers. @Runner duck mom's chocolate ducks both have it as do my 2 dark ones. You at least were able to get a great picture. I never seem to be able to catch the moment when the sun/light hits them just right. The colors seem to change right before your eyes as they move. I've never been able to get a picture as good as yours.

I wouldn't worry about the names. I had my Daisy who was ALL boy but I never could call him anything but Daisy. It was my first hatch and I was clueless plus he was my favorite snuggle duck. @Runner duck mom has Sheldon and Melvin who are both girls. I was going to name 2 of the ducks I hatched last spring (runner duck mom's grand ducks) Sheldon and Joan after my aunt and uncle but they turned out opposite so I just call them Shelly and Jonah.
Lol :) We have/ had Sheldon, Leonard, Winston and Melvin...all girls. They don't seem to mind at all.

That's funny. They dont know anyway!😉 Other than Joy, Celeste is my cuddle bug, just like Max was. Everytime I walk in the room shes up & to the front waiting for me to lean down. Once I do, she just leans her head against my arm, cheek, or whatever she can get to. 😍I melt right there.🥰
I do have a question for anyone.... It gets very hot down here. Miserable hot, (that's why were moving to the mountains as soon as were able.) We stay in the high 90s here all summer, often hitting 100 & a little higher. What does everyone do or have to keep their ducks cool? Does just a pool/pond & shade work for them ok? Since Celeste is apparently Extremely "hot natured", per our vet, I want to go ahead & start making a plan for our pen outside. Just wanted to see everyone's thoughts & ideas on this, what has worked for you, what hasn't, etc.... Thanks
We do the veggie ice cubes too and the ducks love them, even in the heat of summer they take a few hours to melt. Their pool is always their favorite hangout spot even now when its cold outside.
We have way too many trees for shade but a tarp would work great too. Maybe find a spot to set the tarp up ahead of time so they can get used to it... @DuckyDonna said it took a bit before they would go under the tarp. New things are so scary :D

I just found something I thought looked pretty neat. Now, of course pictures dont do justice At All but..... I noticed on Marleys wings, she has something completely different than any of them. Her bottom portion is black with off white polka dots, then goes into blue, then a black/gray/white smokey-like swirl. I just thought it was pretty cool. I love how it's different than the rest. 🥰😍

Attachments

• 20200211_121105.jpg
    20200211_121105.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200210_194230.jpg
    20200210_194230.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200210_194235.jpg
    20200210_194235.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 7
Also, here is her "diaper bag" & her donut. The donut allows her to lay upwards as well as on her belly which helps with her congestion. And her "carrier-bed" arrives tomorrow. It's the only one I could find with the exact size & strength I needed. She goes everywhere with me tho so I needed something I could carry her in, as well as something with high enough edges for her to safely sit upwards. I'll try to get some cute pics with her using them shortly. My next venture is trying to find a doll-sized stroller that isnt too tiny. Something I can stroll her outside in the yard with me while I'm outside gardening or working. (Am I the crazy "duck lady" now or what?!?!🤣🤣)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200211-123435_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200211-123435_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20200211-123815_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200211-123815_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20200211-123524_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200211-123524_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom