Has anyone bred Pekin and welsh harlequin ducks together??

Pics
Did she eat a lot? Does it get bigger when she eats?
I am thinking that is just a full crop. It probably doesn't go down as fast as it normally would with an active duck. And possibly it's appearing in a different place than normal due to whatever is going on with her skeletal system.
A duck doesn't have a true crop like a chicken. Their esophagus just expands. Therefore I could imagine it could be bulging out anywhere in that area when she's full.
Oh ok...that makes sense. Shes Aleays had a bulge on her left "shoulder" area. It was always soft & I knew her spine & neck were a little off so we always just noted it as her body. But it has just recently gotten Big, firm & rigid to the touch, and started protruding out of her side towards her back. It has not gotten smaller since I noticed it yesterday, but she has pooped ALOT, enough to make me wonder how a little girl could poop so much.🤣😆 But.... I will watch it closely over the next few hours & see if there are any changes. I'm about to feed her again in just a moment so I'll see if anything happens.

I can't get over how big she's gotten too! Her bow tie is getting so much bigger too! You're really working a miracle with her. I'm sad to say that most would not have the dedication that you've got and would have let her go a month ago.

Well, Wednesday is only 1 more day after tomorrow so it will be here before you know it. Can you believe January is almost gone!

Do you only feed her duck feed?

Shes soo cute, i wanna hug her
Yes, as of now. The others have started getting treats, so far just greens & tried a few bites of peas today. But Joy is just so small & has some sort of issue within her mouth, nares, sinus, etc...... not sure yet but just didnt want to push it too much with her. Every sip of water she takes, flows right out of her nose, & she has NEVER tried to clear them by blowing out in/out of water.

I can't get over how big she's gotten too! Her bow tie is getting so much bigger too! You're really working a miracle with her. I'm sad to say that most would not have the dedication that you've got and would have let her go a month ago.

Well, Wednesday is only 1 more day after tomorrow so it will be here before you know it. Can you believe January is almost gone!
I'm shocked. I couldnt beleive it when Xmas is here, now it's almost February?!?! 😳 :eek: Crazy!!!
Okay 🙁 Poor thing

i was going to say a good practice is giving grit. Store baught feed doesnt need grit but any sort of treats beyond cat food they will use grit to help grind the food up in their crops
Yes, for sure. I have 2 bags of grit here (duckling size & big duck size). I would love to give her some treats. Dies everyone think shes be ok with anything? The older batch, I started with pulling some leaves from the duck garden outside, cutting real small & poured it all in a bowl of water. Theyvwpyldnt touch it at 1st. Celeste tried a bite, kept eating, after the other 2 watched her for a minute they went for it. Theyve loved it ever since.

Okay 🙁 Poor thing

i was going to say a good practice is giving grit. Store baught feed doesnt need grit but any sort of treats beyond cat food they will use grit to help grind the food up in their crops
If I give Joy anything, it will have to be just solid bites with a cup of water. I cant let her sift thru the water much or she ends up inhaling it & aspirating a little.

Last edited:
Ya know, it's kind of funny because the way I was always able, & ONLY able, to tell Stella & Celeste apart was that Celeste was smaller & had just a small fringe of yellow on the tips of her wings. Well, now the yellow down has fallen off the tips of her wings & she caught up, size wise, with Stella. They are Both all black with a yellow chest, Both have same orange & black feet, Both have black beaks. Now the ONLY difference is Stella has 3 or 4 TINY orange freckles on the side of her beak..... That's it!! Everything else is the same. I might have to give one of them a pink or blue mohawk. 😆 :clap

Back
Top Bottom