Has anyone built coops from "Building Chicken Coops for Dummies"?

I won the book from a chickenstock we went to
wee.gif

As soon as I got some more chickens I ended up building the minimal coop out of the book. No real problems - hubby didn't even help me much except with lifting and moving a few things- most of it I did myself. It took me about a week working on it a few hours after work and on one weekend.

I am going to start next weekend to build the "walk-in" coop from the book. I usually don't buy "dummies" books but since I could not find anything better I caved in. I have to admit I was very positively surprised with the book. Would not call it "for dummies". Not a large number of plans but excellent decriptions. You can easily modify and build anything you want with just the few basic coop plans in the book. There are also countless tips in general for building and chicken coop details like nest boxes, roosts etc. Well worth the monney. Already bought all the materials! I'll take pics as it goes up. Have to be done by 11/12. My chicks will be arriving
big_smile.png

Last edited:
i read it at the library and its a ok book. it does have a good section on coop design and i especially like their dropping board design. Other then the coop section though its not all that helpful. i think storeys guide to raising chickens is more useful.

I think the book is GREAT. I am giving one as a gift to a co-worker that I'm trying to bring over to the dark side... I mean, talk him into keeping chickens.

I recommend all y'all who want to have their own copies buy the book here on BYC in the BYC store. Same price, supports BYC, and there are some "bonus" thingies to get with it.

I want to build the Minimalist and the Walk-In coops. I've already built two of my own (an A-Frame and a 4x8 rectangular one I can walk into but I need more coop space), but I had plans I really had to tinker with..... There are things about both those coops in the Dummies book I really, really like.

Got the book - looks great. Starting coop as soon as I figure out running electricity from garage box. Cheers everyone!

I'm building the all in one coop for my pair of white cohcins . I needed something taht looks good since they are moving with me to the city. I love the design and its really easly to build. I building it all on my own. Need help with the roofs so BF is going to help me. not very good with angles

I am building the "walk-in". Made some changes (2x6 for floor and roof instead of 2x4s) and added a lot of vents. I think the book works great but then I had a lot of experience and any tool you can dream of. I bought according to the shopping list and ended up with quite a bit of spare material. No problem though, the next project is just around the corner. An addition maybe
wink.png

I also used metal from leftovers of our house for the roof. It looks like a miniature version of our house.

69348_copy_of_img_3642.jpg

I loved building the walk in coop and made some modifications. Some I liked and some I didn't. I love the book though. Lots of good information for anyone who has little to no carpentry skills. For anyone who wants detailed plans for a shed that are free here is a link: http://www.apawood.org/homeproj/index.cfm

Back
Top Bottom