Has anyone ever crossed lavender and buff orpingtons? ?

Now I am just learning about all this color genetics stuff, but I think that lavender only affects black (?) and is recessive so a cross of buff and lavender would give you buff birds possibly carring the lavender gene (splits?). So my not really informed guess would be that if you bred the F1's back to the lavender parent, you could wind up with a few lavender chicks and the rest would be buff. Hopefully someone will come along a lot smarter than me on this stuff.
smile.png

Quote:
Nope, Lav Diliutes Black And Gold. It dilutes gold down to a straw/ creamy color ( like in Porcelain duccles) In the first generation of any cross you treat a Solid Lav bird as if it were a black when trying to determine the what you would get. Buff X Lav will give F1s that are mostly black but leaking a lot of buff especially in the front half.

Thank you RAREROO, so if you were to take the F1 birds and bred them back to the parents what would you wind up with? I am curious since I am trying to learn about it.

I am curious about this too. Just hatched 3 lavender babies. Getting buff babies in a couple weeks and have a pair of 9 month old lavenders.

Down the road, I would like to cross the 2........

I saw an Isabel Orpington at a show this year. It was DQ'ed for being shown as a buff, and it was in poor condition, but it was a color that caught my eye. Light beige, about what you'd expect.

I'm trying out the lavender cross my self.
I'm crossing my Lavender roos with Dark Cornish hens. So far I've hatched out 5 chicks that were black except for the belly and chest area. I think that this is typical of a chicken that is going to be solid black.

I referenced this page quite a bit as I waited for my two Buff Orpington/Lavender Orpington chicks to hatch and had really wanted to see some pictures. After my two chicks hatched, I made sure to take pictures for others to use as a reference.

The chicks soon after they hatched:

The chicks a few days later: (I had a broody hatch and raise them)

Here they are at 5 weeks:

At 8 weeks:

And today, at around 11 weeks:

I will probably do another post in a few months to show them from this point until fully grown.

I referenced this page quite a bit as I waited for my two Buff Orpington/Lavender Orpington chicks to hatch and had really wanted to see some pictures. After my two chicks hatched, I made sure to take pictures for others to use as a reference.

The chicks soon after they hatched:

The chicks a few days later: (I had a broody hatch and raise them)

Here they are at 5 weeks:

At 8 weeks:

And today, at around 11 weeks:

I will probably do another post in a few months to show them from this point until fully grown.
This is so true! I got a chick exactly like the one posted and I was wondering what it was going to look like. Thank you for sharing!!! It was a lavender buff cross

Back
Top Bottom